Discuss SWA, T&E or tails?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a bit of 2H10

*No protection required
*Chase with a finger chisel
*Includes 24mm² CPC
*45mm bending radius
*Stays where you put it unlike those huge black plastic snakes that leap up and bite you

Or 2H16 up to 100A

IMG_0788.jpgIMG_0789.jpg

As Dillb said drill down at an angle to get you under the floor . On this job i stitch drilled out a 3rd of a brick on a downward angle . If the existing gas meter had been in a recessed box i would have followed suit .

View attachment 30528View attachment 30529

As Dillb said drill down at an angle to get you under the floor . On this job i stitch drilled out a 3rd of a brick on a downward angle . If the existing gas meter had been in a recessed box i would have followed suit .

Waw have you really installed another meter box next to dno box! If you have that is shocking imo. Put ur switch fuse in the dno box, if its on. The owners property its theirs not dno so you may add your sw fuse in there! Flobbogasted at that pic!!

Dont see how its relevant as op has stated db is gunna be 8M away so irrelevant! If you use a cable capable of taking the dno full service fuse isolate it at that rating

It would be poor design to have no discrimination between the DNO fuse and the one you put in. It would be best to leave s gap of one fuse size so take it to 63A. Are you suggesting that it's ok to have two 100A fuses in line? Yes it might well protect the cable but it's not a great idea.

its not irrelevant.

It would be poor design to have no discrimination between the DNO fuse and the one you put in. It would be best to leave s gap of one fuse size so take it to 63A. Are you suggesting that it's ok to have two 100A fuses in line? Yes it might well protect the cable but it's not a great idea.

its not irrelevant.

Excuse me? So your suggesting using dno full capacity in one post then slating use of it in another.? Why is it bad practice fusing your submain at same as dno cutout on a capable ccc cable,? Can u explain?

Interesting discussion on discrimination, a question I've asked myself before, and received conflicting replies.

The meter box belongs to the owner of the property, but the DNO has certain requirements; BS 8567 (gas is BS 8499).

I asked my DNO (SSE) before on what they would expect to see in such a situation, as here. I asked DNO what would they say about extended tails, 'We would expect a switch fuse, as it is a submain'. Could I put equipment in said box, answer 'No not really, what are you thinking of? Switch fuse? 'Ahhh, okay'.

Considering size of fuse in switch fuse (i.e. DNO 100a, switch fuse 80a), I asked Elecsa tech support for advice;

'Without referring to the time current characteristics of each device for the exact information we believe that the fault protection characteristics of each device will be similar but not the same.

They do provide fault and overload protection for the whole installation. Therefore there will certainly some discrimination with overload protection.

The final decision regarding the discrimination of the two devices would be down to the designer of the installation'.

might be an idea to use a MCCB instead of a sw.fuse. cost permitting. this should ensure the MCCB tripping before the \DNO fuse. discuss?

might be an idea to use a MCCB instead of a sw.fuse. cost permitting. this should ensure the MCCB tripping before the \DNO fuse. discuss?

Mccb would clearly take out the supply before dno fuse. Domestically 80A is usially suffiecent but with some customers adding multiple electric showers and u/floor leccy heating they are demanding alot more. Had a call out last winter where customers off supply, dno fuse on the pole had gone 60A on pole, 80A in dno head 80A switch fuse! They replaced it with 80.

Just to stir the pot a little bit,

Why does the submain fuse need to discriminate with the service fuse?
Why shouldn't you have 2x 100A fuses in series?

Reply to SWA, T&E or tails?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net