Discuss The lights are on!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello All...

My name's Wayne. I'm training to be an electrician and have loads of trivial questions that I hope you guys can help me out with.

Here goes with the first post:

Can someone explain in lovely simple language what is the difference between P.F.C. and P.S.C.C. and how do you calculate each one?

Thanks to all!!

Wayne :dizzy2:

Hello Can someone explain in lovely simple language what is the difference between P.F.C. and P.S.C.C. and how do you calculate each one?

Thanks to all!!

Wayne :dizzy2:

Hey PFC is perspective earth fault current which is the max current that can flow between live conductors to earth.

PSCC is perspective short circuit current which is the max current that can flow in a short between live conductors.

PEFC can be worked out roughly by dividing nominal voltage with Ze so

230Uo/0.35Ze = 460PFC

But it is not that accurate so is will need to be carrying out using a perspective fault current tester.

Good luck.

Thanks, Ducksy...short and sweet.

How accurate are the quoted figures for Ze? Is it best to measure by using instruments or believing the supplier? Thanks

Hey PFC is perspective earth fault current which is the max current that can flow between live conductors to earth.

PSCC is perspective short circuit current which is the max current that can flow in a short between live conductors.

PEFC can be worked out roughly by dividing nominal voltage with Ze so

230Uo/0.35Ze = 460PFC

But it is not that accurate so is will need to be carrying out using a perspective fault current tester.

Good luck.

How accurate are the quoted figures for Ze? Is it best to measure by using instruments or believing the supplier?

Well if you ask the DNO they will quote a tn-c-s as 0.35ohms and for tn-s its 0.8ohms..........in real life everyone uses a earth fault loop impedance tester to acquire Ze results.

wayne i would highly recommended a book called the electricians guide to the wiring regulations its got loads of information.

Thanks, Ducksy...Do you mean BS:7671?

Thanks again.

Wayne

Well if you ask the DNO they will quote a tn-c-s as 0.35ohms and for tn-s its 0.8ohms..........in real life everyone uses a earth fault loop impedance tester to acquire Ze results.

wayne i would highly recommended a book called the electricians guide to the wiring regulations its got loads of information.

Thanks, Ducksy...Do you mean BS:7671?

Thanks again.

Wayne
Ducksy means "The Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations"
EGTBR 41Wdu0tAdUL._SL500_AA300_.jpgNote that the Building regulations have changed and Part P will change in April, however it still has a lot of useful and relevant information.

Last edited:
It's actually prospective (as in potential current under x fault) not "perceptive" (as in what you perceive depending on your position the fault current to be) Perspective of course differs depending on what side of the pond you stand so to speak, but in this circumstance, perspective is irrelevant, whereas the prospective or potential may change due to a number of variables.

And, hello, welcome to the forum chap

Reply to The lights are on!! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net