Discuss VA 2015 code Question with bonding and grounding for service upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am working in the state of VA and they use the 2015 State of VA code. I am upgrading to a 400 amp service the meter base supports two panels dual lugs in it. One panel will be a 200 breaker "MAIN" and other will be future use. I know how to wire most of it but really unsure how I would need to bond and ground two panels does anyone on here know VA code or would be able to help if I upload a drawing kinda have a few questions I've done a lot of electrical work just this would be my 1st time with two panels fed from the meter base

Hello, I am working in the state of VA and they use the 2015 State of VA code. I am upgrading to a 400 amp service the meter base supports two panels dual lugs in it. One panel will be a 200 breaker "MAIN" and other will be future use. I know how to wire most of it but really unsure how I would need to bond and ground two panels does anyone on here know VA code or would be able to help if I upload a drawing kinda have a few questions I've done a lot of electrical work just this would be my 1st time with two panels fed from the meter base
Madmatt my advice would be to install two 200 amp double pole breakers in your 400 amp panel. The bonding question is each panel would need 2 ground rods spaced 6 feet apart. Now you will need to install one #6 bare wire from the.neutral bar in each 200 amp panel to the first ground rod unbroken. Then run another #6 bare wire to the other ground rod. Both panels have to be independent of each other. Good luck with your project and I’m assuming that you drew a permit

Madmatt my advice would be to install two 200 amp double pole breakers in your 400 amp panel. The bonding question is each panel would need 2 ground rods spaced 6 feet apart. Now you will need to install one #6 bare wire from the.neutral bar in each 200 amp panel to the first ground rod unbroken. Then run another #6 bare wire to the other ground rod. Both panels have to be independent of each other. Good luck with your project and I’m assuming that you drew a permit
Here is a picture of meter base they are bonded in it i think

Attachments

• 20201229_224848_capture.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 6
I can’t tell but the ground bar appears to be in the lower left corner
It appears that your ground bar is in the lower left corner and are they a bare wire installed in the meter base which goes down to the ground rods I mentioned?

I can’t tell but the ground bar appears to be in the lower left corner
It appears that your ground bar is in the lower left corner and are they a bare wire installed in the meter base which goes down to the ground rods I mentioned?
You also are required to install arc flash stickers on each panel. Article 110-16 of the NEC

Yes it is in the lower left. Thats my issue never installed a 320/400 amp meter base no clue on how to bond it with two panels off of it. A wiring diagram would be awesome and the code we are using here in VA 2015 electrical code ill have to look into the arc flash as this is a residential install

Yes it is in the lower left. Thats my issue never installed a 320/400 amp meter base no clue on how to bond it with two panels off of it. A wiring diagram would be awesome and the code we are using here in VA 2015 electrical code ill have to look into the arc flash as this is a residential install
You don’t have to bond the meter base just bond the actual 2 panels since they are both operating independently as said before

You don’t have to bond the meter base just bond the actual 2 panels since they are both operating independently as said before
Article 110-16 states ALL panels shall have an ARC flash stickers. You can buy them at your local electrical parts house

Reply to VA 2015 code Question with bonding and grounding for service upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net