Discuss What Mistakes Have You Done? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Worked on a sound stage in Sheffield years ago when I was a sound and lighting technician...

All the power went through a DB which was under the stage and I had to go and connect a few things up during the concert. Crawled back out and was very confused to see 2 guys waving at me frantically. I shrugged my shoulders and gave them the look of "what are you on about?"

Turns out I was crouched in front of their transmitter which was sending a line of sight link to their broadcast truck, and me being in the way had just knocked out the Galaxy FM live broadcast!

Oops!

"

Turns out I was crouched in front of their transmitter which was sending a line of sight link to their broadcast truck, and me being in the way had just knocked out the Galaxy FM live broadcast!

Oops!"

That was you! I was listening to that at the time, few years ago.

Bank holiday weekend last year, Friday 3 o'clock job and knock. Putting the front panel back on the cu in a bar/nightclub and I knocked one of the mcbs off without noticing. Packed up my gear and just about to leave when the manager asked me why the music isn't working? Checked board and turned the mcb back on.

Not as simple as that, ho no...... I've only knocked off the supply to the main computer hub that controls the music, tils, cctv and it up links to their head office. A really good system when it has power, without power it needs an IBM computer engineer to come out and reset it! I stayed until after 5 o'clock for him to turn up and he was there for a few hours afterwards, god knows how much that costs? I didn't get the blame in the end, the computer system has a back up battery system that failed so I got off the hook on this occasion and the company I was working for didn't have to pay the call out bill plus any loss of earnings for the club.

Bricking myself for quite a few hours that night until I called the manager up and heard music in the background. Shutting down a bar/nightclub just before they open on a busy Friday night! Note to self, make sure everything is switched on before leaving.

Used to work for a farmer during Summer a few years back, and was sat on the slurry pump while he was out spreading the slurry around the fields. 10pm at night and he calls to say switch the pump off and pack up, all done. Great thinks I, Friday night, in the pub for a few before closing........

Disconnected the pipe going from pump into slurry tank, everything is turned off, I forget that although the pump is off, there is an amount of slurry in this 12 inch pipe that is under pressure......undid the big clips and WOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! Head to toe in slurry.

Driving home like a complete idiot to get showered and going down the Fosse Way at over 100mph (dead straight road, 1030 at night), what's coming the other way? Yep, the rozzers........I think being head to toe in slurry convinced them I was in a rush to get showered!!!! Managed to get off with a slapped wrist as they had no proof.....

Worst Friday night I have ever had!!!

According to sparks1973 in the thread " meter tails too long" I may have implied applying diversity to instantaneous water heaters, and as such must now be punished by torture or death. In my defense it was a slip of the tongue and I have never conversed with the devil or the NIC EIC.

Used to work for a farmer during Summer a few years back, and was sat on the slurry pump while he was out spreading the slurry around the fields. 10pm at night and he calls to say switch the pump off and pack up, all done. Great thinks I, Friday night, in the pub for a few before closing........

Disconnected the pipe going from pump into slurry tank, everything is turned off, I forget that although the pump is off, there is an amount of slurry in this 12 inch pipe that is under pressure......undid the big clips and WOOOOOOOOOOOOSH! Head to toe in slurry.

Driving home like a complete idiot to get showered and going down the Fosse Way at over 100mph (dead straight road, 1030 at night), what's coming the other way? Yep, the rozzers........I think being head to toe in slurry convinced them I was in a rush to get showered!!!! Managed to get off with a slapped wrist as they had no proof.....

Worst Friday night I have ever had!!!

Is the Fosse Way in Chedworth or near?

Ok if you insist, but can I be burnt on friday, I've got to install some lights tomorrow with just the use of some toilet roll tubes and sticky back plastic and satans will, oh sh*t alright I am a witch burn me then.

Not my mistake, but one a friends employee made...

Doing some building work for a client, a hole needed to be drilled through an outside wall...

Unfortunately, directly the other side of that wall was the recently filled oil tank!

Cue nearly 1000 litres of oil, a foot deep in the conservatory!

working as a subby terminating swa supplys to the isolators on aircon units at the back of marks&spencer, castlepoint--
the air con units were all shapes & sizes but 2 were the same, so-- i take the panel off of the first one, to check the best&clearest place to drill a 20mm hole in the case, for a brass bush&lock ring to pass the supply conductors from the rear of the iso-- no probs
the next one was the same as the last, so i figuard the insides were too--wrong! i drilled the hole in the exact same place-- next thing-gas &oil ****ing out every where, i hit a copper pipe within

Got sent to do a periodic inspection on a one bedroom terrace house that one of our clients had purchased. We were a bit pushed for labour that week and the gaffer asked me if I could pop in early, get it done and then move on to my scheduled jobs. Rocked onto site at six in the morning. Tried the key in the door of the property but it would not fit. Thought…”The plonker has given me the wrong key. I haven’t got time for this bo***cks”. A bit of sneaky jiggery pokery and I was in through the front door. Got the job done and moved on. About three o’clock in the afternoon the client rings me; “I have been waiting for you all day. I thought you were coming to do the testing”. I said; “ No worries, I got in early and got it done. By the way, there is a problem with the front door lock. I couldn’t get the key to fit. Luckily you left the door open for me. Anyway, I will call past on the way home to drop the key off”. Got back to the property and the client was waiting outside for me. I went to go into No 44 and he said; “No not that one. This is the one No 42!”. Checked the paper work and it definitely said No 44. Only tested the wrong property and had to go back the next morning to do the right one.

hahahaha!!! good job no body was at home!!!

Very true. That might have had a completely differed outcome then…lol
Another one for you. Got sent to a hospital to wire a new fire alarm system. Was given another spark on site to give me a hand. The electrician in charge warned me that the other new spark was “a bit special”. The warning bells should have been ringing but I thought I give him the benefit of the doubt. Set the cable reels up and we pulled in the first pyro. Then I showed him how to tie-wrap the pyro to the tray work. Then carried on pulling the pyros in by myself while he followed with the tie-wrapping. Once I finished the wiring I started making the ends off. After three days the other lad came to see me to tell me that he had finished the tie-wrapping. The next day he got send to another job. A couple of days after that the electrician in charge came up to me and ask me “What the f*** was going through your tiny little mind when you did the tie-wrapping?” I instantly got on my high horse and told him there can’t be nothing wrong with it. He knew I couldn’t have done it, started laughing and told me to go up in the roof space and have a look at it.
Well…they could hear my screams from several miles away. I was going to f*****g kill him, his mum and dad, his brothers and sisters, his uncles and aunties, burn all their f*****g houses down. I was going to genetically wipe him of the face of the earth. He had made his birth certificate a worthless document…lol
The little dipstick had only used 10000 tie-wraps and just wrapped them nice and neat every twelve inches around each individual pyro but not to the tray.
It was my fault really! Should have checked his work!

Some real good ones here. We've all bu**ered up some time or another. After 30+ years i got some beauts.

Many years back, when artex ceilings were all the rage, i worked on a one off new build where the owner/builder had the novel idea of flat plastered ceilings. Never seen them before and they looked good after several coats of white.
Then i turned up to secondfix and marked the kitchen ceiling out very carefully for the big old r80 downlights we used to use. Not having a compass big enough i twisted a piece of copper wire around a screwdriver and pencil and used it to mark the circles ready and cut them out with a padsaw.
What i didn't realise at the time was the wire got slightly longer on each one as i had not twisted it tight enough!
First light - nice fit.
Second light - bit looser
Third- like a dick in a sock

The other three went straight through the hole!

Decent homes work in Dunston in Gateshead we had not been issued with official ID at this point, I bowl up for work one day and my gaffer tells me and a mate to go to an address because the heating is on a plug top and it needs to be on it's own circuit etc etc.
Me and Gary get to the address, knock on the door which is answered by an old guy with a zimmer frame. We tell him why we're there and he lets us in, "Where's your boiler" I ask, he shows me to a cupboard in the bathroom and there is a nice shiny new boiler with no sign of it working on a plug top. Everthing that should be there is present and correct so I nip downstairs and find a stat on the wall. Happy days I think, "Right sir" says me "There's been some mistake, everything is done here so we'll leave you in peace"
As we're heading to the front door in walks his wife "Who are you and why are you here!" she demanded so I explain what the crack is "This isn't even a council house so you'd better get out now" she shouted, so we left.
I sat in the car to ring the gaffer who told me to sit tight while he checked out what was what because he was out on site. Fair enough I thought, cup of tea bacon sarnie then a tab.
Incorrect, as Gary was getting back in the car I could hear the sirens getting closer. Then just as I took my first bite two Police cars drove into the street and blocked me in. Four officers jumped out and we had some serious explaining to do.
My mobile was ringing like hell but they wouldn't let me answer even though it was the gaffer but eventually, after hearing from the rest of the lads working in the street he turned up and told them the crack. The thing that got me was some of the guys working a few doors off were direct, had official ID and could have vouched for us.
No that wouldn't have been half as funny though would it? Wasted best part of a morning but got lots of easy jobs for a few days after to make up for his cock up though

My mates an aerial fitter and went to a job nearby in a new house,guy comes out and says he has worked out where the cable is to be run and wants it done his way.Now my mate is quite happy to go along with this until it comes to drilling through the wall,right where the guy wants the hole is the gas service pipe,now he tries to explain this but the customer isn,t having any "tell you what give us the drill and i,ll drill the hole myself" he says.With that he picks up the drill and fired it straight through the wall. "see no problem" and he pulls out the drill,at this point there is a loud hissing sound and a very strong smell of gas,my mate opens front door to find a hole dead centre of service pipe all the way through it.After he stopped laughing he got in his van and left,guy rang up the following morning to say would he come back and fit the aerial,the gas board had repaired the pipe and not charged him as the pipe wasn,t visible so it wasn,t his fault.Dont know what was funnier him hitting the pipe or him telling my mate that he hadn,t been charged for the pipe as it wasnt visible.I mean how can you not see a bright yellow pipe running up the wall of your house?

It took two of us to make this cock up. We had 3 boxes of 8’ tubes delivered to the work shop followed by a message from the foreman to “sort the mill house lights out”. OK it’s a dirty horrible job but not to bad as we had access from the overhead crane. So takes the tubes up to the crane access gate and my mate starts to slide the boxes through the gate, I’d gone to pull the control pendant up on to the crane platform. Looks round and there’s my mate leaning against the crane handrail, the tubes must be aboard then. Sets off towards the far end of the building. It’s hard to describe the sound of 75 fluorescent tubes being sliced in half, the prat hadn’t pulled the boxes fully through the gate.

Reply to What Mistakes Have You Done? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock