Discuss What Mistakes Have You Done? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a few years ago on a big extension a labourer asked me why his lead light wasnt working, he tried a new bulb but nothing. to be honest i couldnt be bothered as was having a bad day. So gave him a new fuse and siad probably that. Still no light. Is the socket even live gave him a plug in tester it beeps away , still no light. Okay give it here. Undo plug check connections find live loose and so moaning and basically ripping the ****e out the labourer sort it out and hand it back. This is all in the space of 5 mins just me and him. Tea break time comes and all there and one of the lads says that the lead light is buggered to which i said no i did it and that i was like god by letting there be light etc. He plugs it in no light. Thought well i've checked everthing else theres not a scratch on it and cable fine so I take out bulb undo bulb holder. Aha another loose live so i twist the cores to fit in the terminal and BANG 230V up me arm, light smashed, pride obliterated, red faced laughing stock. ALWAYS disconnect. ha ha

Some real good ones here. We've all bu**ered up some time or another. After 30+ years i got some beauts.

Winston Churchill once said, success is the ability to go from one failure to another without the loss of enthusiasm. :biggrin:

Few years back we were doing a massive office refurb in basingstoke, and i fetched up one day to have my boss tell me to fit start fitting modular lights in one of the large areas where the ceilings were finished.
He told me they were a right so and so to fit and it took him and another lad all day to fit x amount.
So left to my own devices i started dropping them in, easy as anything. clicked into place nicely, flex pre-made and plugged straight in. when through that area like a dose of salts. Did twice as much as boss and his mate without even breaking into a sweat. What a pair of jessies.
Talking to one of the other lads working on a board, he said christ they struggled. Balancing them on their heads while they put the clips in. Why on their heads....cos the bloody things fitted in from below!
Wondered what the bag of clips was for. In my defence i had never before come across modulars that fitted from below.
Very steep learning curve that day. Lucky for me my boss almost wet himself laughing. Until we went to remove them and found that nice clicking sound which i thought was the fitting clicking into place was actually the enamel stratching off them. Had to go round with touch up paint on dozens of the bloody things!

Had to work on replacing the oil on an 11kv transformer one night, just me and another lad with me on site, job was going ok everything in place, radio on etc...

About 20min after knocking the power off to the tx, I could hear a helicopter flying over the quarry, thaught nothing of it.

10min after this had a shout from outside the door of the sub, "come out slowly this is the armed response unit"

Yeah, I'd compleatly forgotten to let the police know the power to the explosive compound would be switched off so they thaugh the place was being robbed. They had used the thermal camera to spot our pickup outside the sub with a hot engine still.

That took some explaining, got a good ribbing off the lads the next day.

Ah right, thought I recognised the name. Had a fantastic few holidays down there when I was young, free and single! :devilish:

Is that an omission of making a mistake or was the mistake made by the girls whilst you was on holiday lol.

If some of my x-girlfriends/victims could see and reply to this thread they would have it up to page 47 by now :rofl:

Is that an omission of making a mistake or was the mistake made by the girls whilst you was on holiday lol.

If some of my x-girlfriends/victims could see and reply to this thread they would have it up to page 47 by now :rofl:

I was staying with my then boyfriend (I'm female)... my mistake was going home lol.......:rolleyes2:

Reply to What Mistakes Have You Done? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net