Discuss What qualification/training should I take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

BrianHJR

DIY
Reaction score
At nearly 42 I’ve finally had enough of a very frustratin admin job in the NHS and decided that I should concentrate on gaining a useful trade qualification...
?
I’ve some extensive experience of electrical repair and installation work which where necessary I’ve had certificated, most recently a full installation of a new supply and 3-phase board and associated tracing and reconnection of circuits in a commercial building which had been derelict for many years. So I’m not starting from scratch and have a fairly good base of knowledge and experience.

Bearing in mind at this point I’m not certain exactly which sector I’m hoping to find work in, could anyone suggest what the best course/qualification would be to start off with? When you start to search, the choices start to become a bit overwhelming...

In terms of opportunities for assessment, I’m currently in the early stages of a self managed project to build 2 properties, however the point at which I reach electrical first fit stage may be some distance away yet...

Another thing to bear in mind is that I’m relatively skint. But I’ve never tended to let that hold me back in the past - however I do need to achieve the very best value for money possible.

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
What qualification and training should I do?
I may be wrong but the industry is becoming much stricter on short courses in that they are requiring the course completion AND a period (I heard two years) of demonstrable work experience before they will accept you onto a scheme.

Note, this is only trade counter chatter, I've not researched it.

So, where previously you could do your short course then build your practical skills on the your own jobs*, this may no longer be feasible.

You may be in a position where you take a short course then have to find work with fully trained sparks, to gain the experience before you go on your own, which may prove difficult.

There are courses that offer the full qualification in a 4-5week (per course) rather than 1-2 years day release but again you need experience.

Which ever way you go there is little chance of avoiding the fact that at 42 you may be on a par with the apprentices.

I may be wrong but the industry is becoming much stricter on short courses in that they are requiring the course completion AND a period (I heard two years) of demonstrable work experience before they will accept you onto a scheme.

Note, this is only trade counter chatter, I've not researched it.

So, where previously you could do your short course then build your practical skills on the your own jobs*, this may no longer be feasible.

You may be in a position where you take a short course then have to find work with fully trained sparks, to gain the experience before you go on your own, which may prove difficult.

There are courses that offer the full qualification in a 4-5week (per course) rather than 1-2 years day release but again you need experience.

Which ever way you go there is little chance of avoiding the fact that at 42 you may be on a par with the apprentices.

I appreciate your honesty, it’s looking like plumbing instead then?
??

Does anyone have a DEFINITIVE answer please?
?
The whole thing seems like a massive obfuscation and intentionally designed to put off those on the outside...
Seems rather a bad idea when there is a supposed skills shortage, surely the industry should generally be encouraging practical people of all ages to become properly skilled and certificated?
?

NICEIC said to me they are making entry harder - but its not the sort of chat you have in any detail when your decades in. We also dont have your DI CPS registration in Scotland

Being practical is all fine but the industry is more than just pulling cables from A to B. Contact your local college and get on a evening course and do it properly as apposed to fast?

NICEIC said to me they are making entry harder - but its not the sort of chat you have in any detail when your decades in. We also dont have your DI CPS registration in Scotland

Being practical is all fine but the industry is more than just pulling cables from A to B. Contact your local college and get on a evening course and do it properly as apposed to fast?

I didn’t stipulate fast - I’m happy to do a proper course - I’m trying to find out exactly what that course should be.
Thanks again.

My last chat with my NICEIC area engineer suggested that yes, the criteria for being a QS is about to be tightened by a reasonable margin, my interpretation from what he was saying is that unless you have NVQ + AM2 or other goldcard equivalent then you're in for a rough ride. I think Grenfell has been a massive wake-up call.

Reply to What qualification/training should I take? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net