Discuss What really grinds my gears... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

This is what really grinds my gears, sodding spreads who are incapable of putting boards in the right position then not even filling the gap! Not impressed!

maxresdefault.jpg

Just for the comedy factor....

2014-07-14 09.35.47 HDR.jpg2014-07-14 09.35.27.jpg2014-07-14 09.35.16-2.jpg

We had some spreads who used to hide everything the boxes were in stud walls and they'd just board over the lot,soon stopped when I started "looking" for my boxes with a sledgehammer!

i tell the muppets to just cut a hole approx 1" in the centre of the box. then i cut the board exact.

The dry lined walls, they were covered over and cavity rammed with celotex and cables bought out in totally incorrect places.

ill put up a series of photos from start to finish of this extension when I'm done.

If behind plaster board make sure the box is proud of the back of the plaster board, but not so far forward that it potrudes through. The plasterer can offer the board up, give it a thump, and the box is marked perfectly for him to cut out. If he ignores your wonderful system and boards over them, at least you can see the bulge.

I have had a job before where socket boxes have been filled with browning and skimmed over... hadn't even met the plasterer so had no chance to upset him.... All those lump hammer marks probably did though.

Last weeks job, a true rarity, the builder did a great job. Asked about all my downlights before boarding, made sure I had nothing more to go in before the browning went on, after skimming he cleaned out all the boxes before it dried. Fantastic. Does he want to work with me again ? he retires after he has finished this extension ! typical !!

did a job once. specifically told the monkeys not to slatt adhesive on the cables because if the muppets nalied into them it was possible to pull new ones in. after they got nailed, totally glued in with splodge, they didn't like it when half a skimmed board was butchered to do the repair.

I just use Appleby dry line boxes, cut it in with a jab saw afterwards, always looks good.

the bit of fun I had this morning putting 20 down lighters in, obviously I'd put all the wiring up already, then it got boarded and skinned.

i had taken measurements of all the positions of where to cut, but them when I came to do it, I couldn't remember where I took the reading from, wall or glass... And I'd missed one row of positions of my drawing... Oopsy! I worked it out in the end, got them all in without error, looked good.

An even easier way is to mark wire positions using a Laser plumb from marks on the floor,or if your worried about flooring going in,use a piece or two of white roofing membrane laid over two datum marks. Nothing more satisfying than to find a perfectly skimmed ceiling,the spread has not had to dodge obstacles,and drill a 20mm hole and find your cable(s) sitting there waiting...

I was on a job eons ago, student accommodation, 1 room couple of sockets, small cooker point and the obvious lighting point, not much you say, well I was on the books and the plasterers were self employed I'll say no more except that when I went to finish 1st fixing one room the muppets had cut ALL the cables off at floor level with their trowels, oh and the floors were concrete with battens and T&G flooring, not happy

I wrote all measurements on the wall all colours to the central heating system on the wall cos I'm clever , when I went back the painter had started on all my writing . Took ages to sort it out

I was on a job eons ago, student accommodation, 1 room couple of sockets, small cooker point and the obvious lighting point, not much you say, well I was on the books and the plasterers were self employed I'll say no more except that when I went to finish 1st fixing one room the muppets had cut ALL the cables off at floor level with their trowels, oh and the floors were concrete with battens and T&G flooring, not happy

that happend to a guy and he removed big chunks from all over the place

My two most hated trades on site are plasterboard/partition wall wan#### and ceiling fixers.

They are always on price and have no care for anyone else on site. Even if they ruin anybody else's work, they don't care. They are the worst.

Reply to What really grinds my gears... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net