Discuss What type of cable is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The gland should have been put into a coupling, then a bush onto the trunking.... protects the cores from being bent like they are in this example.

pot is missing the seal. any idea how long this has been in service?

The gland should have been put into a coupling, then a bush onto the trunking.... protects the cores from being bent like they are in this example.

Never been sealed proper with a disc, by the looks........strange one if it's gone missing.

Nothing surprises these days, though.

No idea since the building was built i guess maybe 60s?

Does it matter if its missing.

Never been sealed proper with a disc, by the looks........strange one if it's gone missing.

Nothing surprises these days, though.
Whats the disc ? ?

When making off micc cable, the pot is screwed onto the end of the sheath…. Then filled with compound (putty) to keep dampness out.
the disc, or seal is then put on, and the pot crimped to keep it in place.
The seal keeps the compound in, and keeps the cores spread apart at the right position.

No idea since the building was built i guess maybe 60s?

Does it matter if its missing.

Whats the disc ? ?
Fitted to seal the compound in the pot.

Not sealed properly, the conductors are not solidly separated.

Looks like the compound's solidified but moving the cores could cause serious problems,

TBH I find it hard to believe the disc is missing. It does look 1960s which makes it imperial cable. They would be headed sleeves that pass through holes in the disc and the disc would be paxolin. That is why there are no bulges in the sleeves nor a rigidly parallel approach, and why the small area between the sleeves that is not plastered with compound looks brown rather than black.

I can see crimp marks too. One would have to be remarkably absent minded and unobservant to crimp a pot without a disc in. Especially with headed sleeves which you have to pull against the inside of the disc before crimping, which would just pull off without it.

My money is on it being correct but smothered in compound. But if the disc really is missing, no it's not OK. The slightest movement could cause a short, and it's probably not sealed so the IR will be very low.

Last edited:
Yes,with a proper physical inspection,and testing.

It is generally a high quality cable,and in terms of longevity,saving further waste,energy and pollution,it is one of the better environmentally sound uses of materials.

By rights,Greta's entire home better be wired in it.....unless she really dosent care....and just has t&e ?

Is there a way it can be done retrospectively

TBH I find it hard to believe the disc is missing. It does look 1960s which makes it imperial cable. They would be headed sleeves that pass through holes in the disc and the disc would be paxolin. That is why there are no bulges in the sleeves nor a rigidly parallel approach, and why the small area between the sleeves that is not plastered with compound looks brown rather than black.

I can see crimp marks too. One would have to be remarkably absent minded and unobservant to crimp a pot without a disc in. Especially with headed sleeves which you have to pull against the inside of the disc before crimping, which would just pull off without it.

My money is on it being correct but smothered in compound. But if the disc really is missing, no it's not OK. The slightest movement could cause a short, and it's probably not sealed so the IR will be very low.
20210727_215056.jpg
not sure if that's a better image of it

Reply to What type of cable is this? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net