Discuss What would you do? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

James-

Hi there everyone,

Appologise if this is in completely the wrong place.

I've just received my C&G L3 nvq cert in the post last week, and I cant tell you all how brilliant it feels to have finally got it !!!!!

But the good feelings are some what short lived as I now find myself not knowing what step to take next,

My ambition is to work with a small - medium local company with... "that perfect employer". like everyone else.
You know all the right values, decent guys, wages and employer / employee aspirations, but believe it may be easier to work as sole trader on my own.

If I do I'd be taking on what I can get and initially passing on anything too big or calling in favours. I've got all my own gear bar a calibrated 17th tester of my own, and I know a few good sparks locally but everyone has apprentice's or not enough work.

I'm not too sure what to do next tho, I dont have my I&T certs yet and am struggling to find a good local centre I can fit it in with / afford / take time off for.

Not sure really on the processes of registering with a scam, if so which would be best for someone in my position.
Is there real snobery still about who your registerd with and do you feel it effects the success of your quotes etc.
Or do I get BC to sign major works off etc .
What can I really do with my new qual. Brain surgery anyone?

I've started an unrelated all online ltd business before , with website and advertising so that side of things isn't bothering me too much. It's more about wanting everything above board, legal, and respectable. I don't want to start jobs cause headaches right at the begining. :death:

I want to try and build a good honest name locally if I do work for myself.
I just suddenly find myself questioning what my next move should be.

Do these footings seem like there about to shake my wallet dry and get me no where.

Any input would be appreciated

Cheers james

If I were you with your life still in front of you I'd emigrate and get well away from the sh!t tip that this country has become.

New Zealand would be my choice.

If you plan to go solo, you should join a scheme:NICEIC, NAPIT, etc. it's peace of mind for you and reassuring for the client. As a registered electrician, you'll prove that your fully insured and up to date with any changes in the industry. You will also have technical back up and get discounts on various products, e.g. Advertising, products, etc. In short, you'll be taken more seriously.

Congratulations on the L3 qual -

I would try to pursue the working for a company route, some experience will better prepare you for a sole trader venture.

I know finding work is a problem - I suggest contacting electrical contractors (pref in person) and sell yourself

You sound pretty level headed and keen - this always goes down well at an interview

I wouldn't recommend going alone to anybody these days. The general public have seen so many "cowboy" programs that they think everyone is out to rip them off along with the fact that they can't afford to have their electrics made safe AND have their annual holiday due to the recession. It's a headache mate, seriously.

You really do need to gain experience before embarking on a solo or sole trader business. So i would reccomend like Hawkmoon to pursue working for a company at this point in time. Also don't stop gaining meaningful qualifications (as funds allow) they will almost certainly pay dividends for you in the future. Congratulations attaining your C&G level 3 qualifications but remember they are these days, a foundation qualification. You will need NVQ level 3, along with C&G I&T (equivalent to the old 2391 to be considered for a JIB Approved Electricians Gold Card.... Which is about the only meaningful certification out there for electricians, from what i can see!! Eg, you won't find any electrical trainee's skulking around on their books.... lol!!

If you struggle finding full time work try approaching local electrical companies and offering yourself as a back up,cover for holidays,emergencies and the like.It's something I did early on when work was slack and as well as helping you earn a few quid it gets you known with local firms.more importantly it gets you experience and shows you are trying.
good luck in your endeavours.

If you struggle finding full time work try approaching local electrical companies and offering yourself as a back up,cover for holidays,emergencies and the like.It's something I did early on when work was slack and as well as helping you earn a few quid it gets you known with local firms.more importantly it gets you experience and shows you are trying.

I like the sentiments Phil, but nowadays with work so tight, I'd be very surprised if any firm would want an unknown quantity to be given access to any of their client base. It really is dog-eat-dog in the domestic sector now, especially with all the Electrical Trainee's, plumbers, builders, handymen all having a go "coz it's only a few wires".
Try to find a firm who will let you start at the bottom on their books, that's my advice.... Actually, my advice would be to avoid the sector altogether. ;)

Agreed - Some companies may take you up on a zero hours contract (they call you when they need you) - good way to get in on a permanent contract.

Nail on the head.... This is one of my main concerns Guitarist, People nowadays don't seem to care about anything but paying as little money as possible regardless of what's being quoted for

Am I not able to delete posts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I spend more time than my lovely girlfriend would like reading up, :toetap05:. That is my aim for the future, I've been very lucky in the last few days, I only just missed by a whisker, booking on the 2394 with Delta training RIGHT BEFORE they closed up shop!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't recommend going alone to anybody these days. The general public have seen so many "cowboy" programs that they think everyone is out to rip them off along with the fact that they can't afford to have their electrics made safe AND have their annual holiday due to the recession. It's a headache mate, seriously.

Nail on the head.... This is one of my main concerns Guitarist, People nowadays don't seem to care about anything but paying as little money as possible regardless of what's being quoted for

You really do need to gain experience before embarking on a solo or sole trader business. So i would reccomend like Hawkmoon to pursue working for a company at this point in time. Also don't stop gaining meaningful qualifications (as funds allow) they will almost certainly pay dividends for you in the future. Congratulations attaining your C&G level 3 qualifications but remember they are these days, a foundation qualification. You will need NVQ level 3, along with C&G I&T (equivalent to the old 2391 to be considered for a JIB Approved Electricians Gold Card.... Which is about the only meaningful certification out there for electricians, from what i can see!! Eg, you won't find any electrical trainee's skulking around on their books.... lol!!

As I understand it I need both new C&G quals, (2394&5) to go with my nvq to be eligible for a gold card? does that sound right?

Congratulations on the L3 qual -

I would try to pursue the working for a company route, some experience will better prepare you for a sole trader venture.

I know finding work is a problem - I suggest contacting electrical contractors (pref in person) and sell yourself

You sound pretty level headed and keen - this always goes down well at an interview

By no way do I want so sound like I think I know it all!! at all :), But I have been working in and around domestic construction since my early teens in a family business we no longer run, and subbed on Domestic rewires as a mate.

I understand where people are coming from pro employment over self employed, I think what I need to do Is work towards setting everything up to go solo but of course I'll still be looking out for a good company to work with. Times are tough, and the mortgage needs to be paid!!

And that back room won't paper its self!!!

Agreed - Some companies may take you up on a zero hours contract (they call you when they need you) - good way to get in on a permanent contract.

Not a bad Idea, I fear it would be like working for an agency again tho, putting everything into crap shifts, almost not having a social life due to traveling and long hours and never knowing where the next pay check will come from....... hmm I guess I've also summed up going solo there too

By no way do I want so sound like I think I know it all!! at all :), But I have been working in and around domestic construction since my early teens in a family business we no longer run, and subbed on Domestic rewires as a mate.

I understand where people are coming from pro employment over self employed, I think what I need to do Is work towards setting everything up to go solo but of course I'll still be looking out for a good company to work with. Times are tough, and the mortgage needs to be paid!!

And that back room won't paper its self!!!

Don't bother messing about with paper - just chuck some paint on it and use it for your office !

As I understand it I need both new C&G quals, (2394&5) to go with my nvq to be eligible for a gold card? does that sound right?

Sorry i miss read your original post, i was taking your level 3 qualification as 2330 (or it's new equivalent) So do you have that core level 3 qualification, because without it, you'll not be able to gain a JIB ''Approved Electrician'' grade?? Yes i believe you need both, which is supposed to be the equivalent to the old and respected 2391....

Reply to What would you do? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net