Discuss Will my plan to become an electrician work ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I currently am a machinist in a family owned company . I have to work m-f 7am-330pm. I cant afford to quit my job. As far as i can see , the best way to become ab electrican is to do an apprenticeship. The problem is they are all morning gigs and start off at 11/hr vs the 25hr i make now. I was going to go yo trade school. Once i graduate i would work my day job and do self employed electrical on the side. Hopefully i would eventually get enough work to go full time electrical

Speak to your local college, might find night school is a good fit for you, allowing you to work your normsljob on the day and pick up experience on your days off.

I currently am a machinist in a family owned company . I have to work m-f 7am-330pm. I cant afford to quit my job. As far as i can see , the best way to become ab electrican is to do an apprenticeship. The problem is they are all morning gigs and start off at 11/hr vs the 25hr i make now. I was going to go yo trade school. Once i graduate i would work my day job and do self employed electrical on the side. Hopefully i would eventually get enough work to go full time electrical
My friend I admire your persistence on being an electrician and yes you can go to school at nights for 2 years and that will give you 2000 hours credit. The real world now is you have to make a decision because if you come straight out of school with no other experience and yes you can register to take your single dwelling license and if you pass again with no experience you will have a very hard time. I had to have 14,800 primary hours which means being the supervisor to be eligible to take the masters test. The pay for a green helper is low but you have to learn the trade and work your way up. You can read the NEC all day but applying it in the field is a whole different story. My advice to you is that you start working the trade and doing night classes. I’m sure your family would support you. There is nothing better than on the job training. Good luck

I'd like to add what I was told when I started in the trade.
"Better save yer change, kid." ?

You should check with local apprenticeship opportunities. It doesn't take long to get more $. After 5 years you'll be making over $40/hr. Your pay will go up as you progress. Plus benefits (pension, vacation, annuity)

Reply to Will my plan to become an electrician work ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net