Discuss 3 Hours...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
..... That's how long it takes on a Sunday in A&E to be told that I have 2 cracked ribs!

Last night at home my foot slipped on the stair and I came crashing down. F*** me the pain was really bad, knew I had done some damage but not to this extent. This morning I tried my best to "man up" and get on with things like you do. Ended up going to A&E to get it checked out due to the amount of pain. Yep 2 cracked ribs (1 false rib and 1 floating rib).

Prodded and poked, I've been put on loads of different machines to see if I have fluid on the lungs, kidney damage, oxygen percentage in my blood, air flow, heart beats, blood pressure and then I had to pee in a cup to check for blood in my urine whilst wearing a stupid looking hospital gown. Not the best day out for a Sunday but everything is fine apart from the ribs.

I've been given some really strong pain killers and sent home. Well that is me off the tools for a week or so, just sorted out which lads can cover my jobs this coming week. Not a chance of me even lifting a toolbox never mind using a drill etc. It is good to know that you have friends to jump in and help when things like this happen. Cheers lads, couple of you are on here :wink:

Ok, time to find out how strong these drugs are lol :ihih:

and be sparing with the ale if taking strong painkillers. no more than 6 pints.:49:. just hope they've got more sense over there than the stupid twong who was promised to sort out pain relief for my missus the other week phoned up and suggested she go to local chemist for paracetamol

I'm surprised they did not strap the ribs up.
Has it now been decided that it's better not to strap up ribs?
been that way for a long time, spin. think they only strap them if there's risk of broken bone ends damaging organs.

and be sparing with the ale if taking strong painkillers. no more than 6 pints:49:

Not going to chance it Tel, bloody tempted though.

Hard luck Paul, get well soon

Cheers Pete.

I'm surprised they did not strap the ribs up.
Has it now been decided that it's better not to strap up ribs?

Did not even take an x-ray which I was surprised about. 30% of rib injuries do not show up on an x-ray apparently???

Painful, broke a few myself and found it very hard to sleep, if you move, you wake up

Noticed that at 4:20 this morning when I turned over in my sleep and woke Mrs M up with the swearing. My sympathies are with the people that have got full broken ribs, that must be the pits.

I had a cracked rib a couple of years ago, I think from picking a loom of cable up the wrong way.
I didn't realise what had happened at the time so carried on working hoping the discomfort would go away, but it ended up turning into pain. It hurt when I walked, hurt when I moved, hurt when I coughed... I was off work for about a month sitting around doing nothing.

I'm more careful when I pick things up now.

What painkillers did they give you?

30mg Codeine Phosphate. max of 8 per day.

I have access to Morphine if needed! Elderly neighbor we look after does not like the effects so we have a stock pile if I need it lol.

The Doctor said that rib injury pain increases over the first 5 days, then peaks. Not looking forward to that, Morphine is on stand by.

I had 2 fractured a few years ago, bloody horrible.

I was told to try and take a deep breath every now and then to help prevent infection.

I have access to Morphine if needed! Elderly neighbor we look after does not like the effects so we have a stock pile if I need it lol.

The Doctor said that rib injury pain increases over the first 5 days, then peaks. Not looking forward to that, Morphine is on stand by.

Got some Tramadol, good stuff man lol

Oh yeah 2 of those will do the job, Ihad some of those once, 500mg standard looking paracetemol tabs with 30mg of codeine in each...so 60mg in total.... I reckon you could stab your self and not feel it...

on a nother drug note I accidentally (!) took a tarmazipan once, as i thought it was the same as diazipan my mate took when his back was bad (mine was too).... Went to sleep..... Woke up eventually...and my arm just kept missing the bedside table as it was a blur and a haze... Never been so spaced out in my life! And that was just one.

boy did I get a rollocking for that (missus is a Anaesthetist)

Sorry to hear that, Paul. Hope for your sake they're wrong about the pain getting worse for the first 5 days. Keep taking the pills. :)

Reply to 3 Hours...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net