Discuss accountancy fees in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This is my first full year of being self-employed since ten years ago.Now im aware accountancy is not an exact science,i have just received my invoice from my accountant and was quite shocked.All receipts and invoices were i neat date order in plastic wallets,totals for net income,car expenses,car milage, telephone bills e.t.c were in date order and totalled on a chart.All income was taxed at source and i was unemployed for 4.5 months of that tax year.The charge was £352.50 which i thought was expensive.Some of the guys at my last job reckoned they were charged between £160.00 & £250 Taking into account that there were no wind ups??? The average tax rebate was about £1000.Now like i said its all relative i know but just wanted to know what the average accountancy charge is and tax rebate .My gross income was £13,880 less cost of sale(not sure what that means) at of course minus expenses.and take into equation unemployed for 4.5 months(less paper work)

Accountants if they are any good should have saved you more in tax then the fee they charge. Most of them use sage accounts so perhaps its worth asking if its any cheaper submitting your returns using that program.

Chris

Im a Ltd company and it costs me £100 for SA tax return, £55 for annual return and £450 for my annual accounts.

The way I look at it is if I had to do it, which I am capable of doing it would take me twice as long as the accountant, and Id earn that amount in 2 days easily, so money well spent.

Remember its a tax deductable expense :D

I did not mention i am not a ltd company so i assume i must be a sole trader which is supposed to be less work & not v.a.t registered.Looking quickly on Internet stumbled across this site have not fully digested all information Accountants, Bookkeeping and for a sole trader non-v.a.t registered costs £16.00 month for a sole trader for a monthly book keeping service and includes one self assessment return may be £25.00 set up fee.So for 8 months work £128.00 + £25 = £153.00 + v.a.t SEEMS A LOT OF DIFFERENCE TO THE £352 I WAS CHARGED please check these figures fair enough not such a personal service but a vast difference or am i missing something???

Last edited:
your missing the fact that if you get a good accountant they will save you the money .

but if it is just cheap you want ,, why dont you just take your paperwork to the inland revenue offices and they will help you for free.

RE: Eddielarge Thank you was not really looking for sarcasm,just stating facts the company i mentioned was in fact i feel doing the same thing,i dont know if you logged onto the link.I was generally asking for positive feedback 1.e average charge for a sole trader,AND YES I REALISE ALL ACCOUNTS ARE NOT THE SAME (same amount of work e.t.c )JUST A BALL PARK FIGURE.Yes of course accountants save you money.In the same token is it not unreasonable to check im not being overcharged as i said speaking to other sparks there charges seemed a lot lower.Please forgive me and have me flogged and stoned on the forum walls.

Last edited:
It is a matter of shopping around. Personally I would stick with a company that is in my locality as I can visit on a regular basis. I’m not just paying for having the accounts done, I also have my business analysed on a regular basis to make sure I’m hitting the right figures e.g. PROFIT after all that’s what pays my wages.
My first accountant robbed me blind, advised to set up as a ltd company given the amount of machinery I had. First year was extremely part time and I turned over about £2500 and his bill came to almost half. Needless to say I went elsewhere and now receive a far better service for a fraction of the cost. My wife is set as a sole trader and her fees are about £350+VAT, but as our personal finances are analysed too, we end up saving more than it costs to use the accountant through savings, tax loopholes and well timed capital purchases.
In a nutshell, if you want it done cheap, then internet is the way to go. If you need an accountant to look after your whole financial package (business and personal) and help you grow your business, then you need to go face-to-face. Find your local business network and use their recommendations.

This is my first full year of being self-employed since ten years ago.Now im aware accountancy is not an exact science,i have just received my invoice from my accountant and was quite shocked.All receipts and invoices were i neat date order in plastic wallets,totals for net income,car expenses,car milage, telephone bills e.t.c were in date order and totalled on a chart.All income was taxed at source and i was unemployed for 4.5 months of that tax year.The charge was £352.50 which i thought was expensive.Some of the guys at my last job reckoned they were charged between £160.00 & £250 Taking into account that there were no wind ups??? The average tax rebate was about £1000.Now like i said its all relative i know but just wanted to know what the average accountancy charge is and tax rebate .My gross income was £13,880 less cost of sale(not sure what that means) at of course minus expenses.and take into equation unemployed for 4.5 months(less paper work)
Hi
I used this accountant for 6 years G Lewin Stanford hill

G Lewin & Co - Google Maps

They take a percentage of what they get.

Reply to accountancy fees in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock