Discuss Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

The way the cable enters the mains board it has made it no longer comply with IP4X. The rcd spur should have been fitted closer to cover the hole or a trunking fitted.
I agree with the advise given so far that a quote would have saved a lot of grief. Certificate for the works is essential and the job isn't complete without this, so it would be interesting in court.

You need to stop talking to people who have not seen the job, who were not there and agree on a price with the Electrician. Go to court and that is all that will happen with additional time and costs.

It is impossible for anyone on here to give you an accurate quote for the work as they were not there.

We all know fitting something someone else has bought for the first time can be a nightmare.

I must say the finish looks really quite good.

Have a good day and next time get a quote.

The way the cable enters the mains board it has made it no longer comply with IP4X. The rcd spur should have been fitted closer to cover the hole or a trunking fitted.
I agree with the advise given so far that a quote would have saved a lot of grief. Certificate for the works is essential and the job isn't complete without this, so it would be interesting in court.

Why does the cable through the fuse box make a difference?

That's a few guys on here been clear that a certificate is required. Why are SELECT telling me differently? SELECT haven't seen any pictures. I can only assume the electrician told them what work had been carried out.

The dad hasn't seen the finished article either.

If you haven't read the thread I am in Scotland.

You need to stop talking to people who have not seen the job, who were not there and agree on a price with the Electrician. Go to court and that is all that will happen with additional time and costs.

It is impossible for anyone on here to give you an accurate quote for the work as they were not there.

We all know fitting something someone else has bought for the first time can be a nightmare.

I must say the finish looks really quite good.

Have a good day and next time get a quote.

I don't intend to go to court. I'm just seeking to find a resolution at a fair price.

I'm also needing to make sure it's legal and the correct certificate issue if required.

I've listed the work that was done and I've printed the electrician's own bill for his version of the work. I've posted pictures of the work too. You haven't seen it in person, but how much extra work can there be you haven't seen? How can the cost of my work be so far away from what everything else thinks?

It's two bedroom house and the fusebox almost straight down from the bathroom.

It'd be good to hear from a Scottish member (who won't sound anything like a Scouser) about the Scottish requirements for a safety certificate.

As a Select member he must issue at least a "Minor Works Certificate" although fitting the RCD spur at the board could be deemed a new circuit in which case an "Electrical Installation Certificate" would be required.
Building control would only have an input if the bathroom alterations were subject to planning permission/building warrant in which case a "Scottish Building Standards Certificate" would be required.
You could contact Select but they are not really interested in financial disputes. If you feel the work is not up to standard you could ask Select to carry out an inspection.(free if they agree with you but chargeable if they find in the contractors favour). From the photographs i have seen the workmanship looks OK some labels missing from board is all I can see wrong.
I would agree with most that it is expensive, in Glasgow I would be £300-350 (including labour no more than 2 hours first visit and 5 hours to fit out and test.)

£30 an hour is cheap.

The VAT is not down to the Electrician.

You are asking a bunch of people who were not there to justify you not paying a bill for work they did not do.

They fitted 5 lamps / assembled fitted an unfamiliar lit mirror / fixed your landing light / fitted a new RCD circuit across three visits to your site.

Without seeing the job, I would have quoted £50 a lamp / £100 for the mirror / £50 for the landing / £100 for the RCD and testing / plus parts all plus VAT.

With the mark up on the parts that is around £600+VAT.

He is hardly ripping you off IMHO with the three site visits.

The ones saying they will do for £300 need to come work for me as I could keep them very busy and make a nice profit to boot. :)

Last edited:
As a Select member he must issue at least a "Minor Works Certificate" although fitting the RCD spur at the board could be deemed a new circuit in which case an "Electrical Installation Certificate" would be required.
Building control would only have an input if the bathroom alterations were subject to planning permission/building warrant in which case a "Scottish Building Standards Certificate" would be required.
You could contact Select but they are not really interested in financial disputes. If you feel the work is not up to standard you could ask Select to carry out an inspection.(free if they agree with you but chargeable if they find in the contractors favour). From the photographs i have seen the workmanship looks OK some labels missing from board is all I can see wrong.
I would agree with most that it is expensive, in Glasgow I would be £300-350 (including labour no more than 2 hours first visit and 5 hours to fit out and test.)
If it's a new circuit, then it will require an EIC however small and insignificant the circuit is, the regulations are quite specific on this issue.

I don't think a new circuit has been added here, just the Upstairs Lighting Circuit changed to be RCD Protected via an RCD Spur.

One of my pet hates is people who argue on price.
Sorry just gets on my nerves. If I do a quote the price is the price. I am not a rip off merchant.

If you didn’t ask for a price you are as to blame for this situation in my opinion. Thread is dragging now....

You've made your opinion clear a couple of times. I understand your point and fully accept it.

I don't agree with that just because I didn't ask for a quote that gives the electrician the right to overcharge me.

You've twice said you wouldn't take advantage of the situation and wouldn't rip people off in the circumstances, yet you're defending someone who has.

The VAT is not down to the Electrician.

You are asking a bunch of people who were not there to justify you not paying a bill for work they did not do.

They fitted 5 lamps / assembled fitted an unfamiliar lit mirror / fixed your landing light / fitted a new RCD circuit across three visits to your site.

He is hardly ripping you off IMHO with the three site visits.

The first site visit was made on the day of the first phone call. They were in the area and had a little time to fill that day and wanted to pop in.

Fixing the landing light was reaching up and twisting it back into place. The young guy had the ladders out and was working feet away for access to the loft.

It should never have taken 3 visits. On the second visit the young lad admitted he lost hours as he couldn't lift and fit the mirror on his own. He also admitted that he lost hours on the drawer as he didn't understand them. The third visit the drawers were running in no time at all.

Now you're arguing with me?

I am seeing a trend here tbh.

Not at all. I was only responding to your post to highlight the situation.

Reading the electrician's description it sounds as if repairing the landing light was a significant job. I'm just clarifying what happened.

It's really rare for me to get involved in a dispute. All other tradesmen had their bills settled immediately.

Well, I am sorry you have been unlucky this time.

It is never nice to get into a dispute.

Find a common ground and settle quickly, would be my best advice.

IMO the only sensible way to solve this is for you and the electrical contractor to spend time going through it together, and come to an agreement.

A lesson learned on your part to ask for a quote beforehand, and a lesson learned on his to give a quote beforehand.

Hopefully this comes to a reasonable conclusion with both parties satisfied with the outcome.

Reply to Advice for a bill/dispute in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net