Discuss Advice from marine spakies? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Ryan Foley

Going for a job as a marine sparky and the guy wants to know what experience i have as a marine electrician.

I don thave any but im wondering if i can talk my way in.Anyone know how much the work differs from normal (commercial/industrial/domestic) sparky work. Theonly way i can imagine is in earthing arrangements although i may just be ignorant.

thanks in advance.

Going for a job as a marine sparky and the guy wants to know what experience i have as a marine electrician.

I don thave any but im wondering if i can talk my way in.Anyone know how much the work differs from normal (commercial/industrial/domestic) sparky work. Theonly way i can imagine is in earthing arrangements although i may just be ignorant.

thanks in advance.

What type of marine electrical work?

Shipyard or as a shipboard ETO?

I did some work on a ship years ago when I was a 1st or 2nd year apprentice....
It was wired in Pyro and I think it was all DC stuff but I could be wrong we are talkin several years ago

i worked for decca on ships,all our stuff was 12/24 volt dc stuff,principle is the same as electrics anywhere just drilling a bulkhead is a nightmare cable is rated for what its to do but its still cable, lots of cable fixings,lots of vib mount fixings and dont forget to pick up dropped tools and nuts/bolts if its a navy one..gash kills or something like that the posters said..

I wired some yachts last year; lighting was mostly 24vdc wired in black and white singles through flex conduit, ac stuff was wired in H07. Everything has to be strapped down so it doesn't rattle around, lots of stainless screws, not much chasing :D

If it's new build in a shipyard or refit then i suppose if you've got enough industrial experience you've nothing to worry about. Same stuff exept the job floats

Edit. Dunno about yachts, pleasure boats and the like. I was thinking along the lines of the new aircraft carrier down Portsmouth. Propa boats

Did my apprenticeship for the MOD on ships and submarines.

From what I can remeber, main differences will be:
Vibration effects - not just cables but motors etc.
Frequency and voltages maybe different
Lots of glanding between waterproof compartments and into machines/switchgear
No SWA/T&E

Did my apprenticeship for the MOD on ships and submarines.

From what I can remeber, main differences will be:
Vibration effects - not just cables but motors etc.
Frequency and voltages maybe different
Lots of glanding between waterproof compartments and into machines/switchgear
No SWA/T&E

Sailed on both cargo & passenger ships and also worked in a shipyard which dealt with just MOD ships/subs and I can tell you there is a total difference between MOD and Merchant Navy specifications and standards of wiring on ships.

Sailed on both cargo & passenger ships and also worked in a shipyard which dealt with just MOD ships/subs and I can tell you there is a total difference between MOD and Merchant Navy specifications and standards of wiring on ships.

Understandable really, as the MOD ships would have to stand up against acts of war etc...

Understandable really, as the MOD ships would have to stand up against acts of war etc...

Agree with that but when I worked on a High Speed Ferry I was informed that a previous ETO who said he knew everything wanted to drill a hole between in a bulkhead between two watertight components low down and fit a normal plastic gland to run a cable through, needless to say the Chief Engineer told him to go away in short jerky motions

It may be blaggable, but just remember you’ll end up looking a Muppet if you lay it on to thick and then fall down once on board.
Tell them of your industrial experience and add that you’re willing to learn.

thanks for all the help guys. i'll give it a dig anyway, gonna try and get a hold of the company directly rather than go through the agency.

Reply to Advice from marine spakies? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net