Discuss Advice needed With Oven tripping Fuse in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Benrobin

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, its a bit of a long one, but i really can't figure out whats up?

I had a ex-display built in double oven for a while and though the fan oven part worked perfectly, as soon as you tried to use the upper oven/grill the fuse would trip out every time.
I finally decided to replace the double oven with a new one (the old one was taken away) and once wired up, I have the same problem, the upper grill trips the fuse.
So I thought it must be the wiring or fuse, I've tried the following

Running a 10mm cable direct from the fuse box to the oven - Still trips
Changing the Fuse from a 32 to a 40amp - Still trips
As its a split load box, tried the other side - Still Trips

I really can't get my head round what it could be? Can there be any other fault on the fuse box or have i just got another faulty oven??

I just don't know whether to pay out for an electrician or someone to look at the oven?

Any advise would be helpful

You could be unlucky and have 2 faulty ovens, although I doubt it. You could even find that the fault and problem is nothing to do with the circuit the oven is on. Randomly replacing things trying to find what is faulty is not a good or cost effective way to fix the problem.

Can you post a picture of your Consumer Unit?

You mentioned a split load board, is it tripping the MCB or RCD?

I would definitely get an electrician out to verify existing circuit. A competent electrician will find the issue for you.
It trips the RCD on either side i tried it on
[automerge]1570825225[/automerge]
You could be unlucky and have 2 faulty ovens, although I doubt it. You could even find that the fault and problem is nothing to do with the circuit the oven is on. Randomly replacing things trying to find what is faulty is not a good or cost effective way to fix the problem.

Can you post a picture of your Consumer Unit?

Attachments

• IMG_20191011_211853366.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20191011_211847787.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
there could be a N-E fault anywhere on the installation. RCD trips as soon as a heavy load is switched on.

Hi Thank you all for your advise, but i can only assume i've got another duff oven, cause today i did the following with no other wires connected

Mains
to
Mains Switch
to
63A 30mA RCCD
to
40A MCB
to
10mm Brand new Cable
to
Oven

and every time i tried the grill, even just the grill light it tripped the RCCD

Thanks again

are you sure the N conductor is in the correct N bar? i suugest a local sparks with a MFT should be called in. cost less than buying another oven.

are you sure the N conductor is in the correct N bar? i suugest a local sparks with a MFT should be called in. cost less than buying another oven.
As I only bought this new one on friday, I'll take it back next week and see what happens, its the least cost alternative, thanks anyway
(pic is with 6mm cable, oven was wired same with 10mm to test)

IMG_20191011_205258632.jpg IMG_20191011_205251172.jpg

Reply to Advice needed With Oven tripping Fuse in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net