Discuss Advice on how to become a qualified Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very interested in becoming an Electrician but am bamboozled by how many different companies offer numerous courses. I have no experience at all but have always had an interest on becoming an electrician, but due to unforseen circumstances, missed the chance from leaving school. I am now 25 yrs old and feel its now or never as I dont want to regret it in the future.

I have been looking for a while but am still unsure on what the best route is to take as different companies are contradicting each other on what is best for me.

Please can someone advise the best way, in terms of courses and an idea of what I should be paying, to get the correct qualifications?

is the below correct for a newcomer wanting to get into the Electrical trade? If so what is the next step?
Beginners Electrical Package ÂŁ2000-00 + Vat
includes:
PTS Introduction to Electrical Installer
PTS Certificate for Electricity at Work Regulations 1989
LOGIC Certificate for Domestic Electrical Installers (Part P)
City & Guilds 2382 17th Edition Wiring Regulations
City & Guilds 2392 Certificate for Fundamental Inspection & Testing
City & Guilds 2393 Certificate in Building Regulations (Part P)
The following publications are included at no extra cost;
EAWR Memorandum of Guidance
GS38 Electrical Test Equipment
IEE On-Site Guide (NEW)
Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations
Electrician's Guide to Inspection & Testing
BS7671:2008 (Regs)
Duration of course 18-days.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Betamax1988

Put the credit card away, and go and talk to your local technical college. There are no short cuts.

This is exactly what I thought but they insisted this is the first stage then you will go on to the next course which looks like to be another 2-3k! Thanks for the advice, I will indeed look into colleges instead as I dont want a short cut, I want to gain some knowledge and keep it there.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

exactly as he said ^^^^^^. evenings @ local college, and try and find work (part-time if that suits) as a sparks mate to gain practical experience.

As has been stated above, there is ''NO SHORTCUTs'' to becoming a qualified electrician. So don't let any of these training centre parasites tell you any different!!

Do it once and do it Right. Get yourself off to your local Technical College as far as gaining the necessary C&G qualifications. You'll then need to find an employer where you can gain the all important experience while you're training....

Hello.

First time post, long time lurker.

I've been working with electricity for a few years now for a company that installs digital signs and information kiosks etc, plus a bit of DIY electrics but wanted to get some formal qualifications.

I did one of those courses a while back and gained these qualifications.

I'm now the NICEIC QS for the company I work for and they were perfectly happy with the qualifications I have and where more interested in assessing my abilities. The most complicated thing I found was getting my head around the fact that there isn't technically such a thing as a "qualified electrician", just a competent person with qualifications to back that up if it all goes wrong.

I think the main thing is to look at the type of work you want to be able to do. As much as I'd like to have the full C&G 2357 it just isn't necessary for connecting up street furniture and the odd extractor fan in a domestic property etc, and I didn't really fancy working as an apprentice for 3 / 4 years on ÂŁ150 per week at 26.

The 2392 basically educates you to inspect and test work that you have installed and fill in the appropriate certificates and if you look at the requirements for an NICEIC domestic installer that's perfectly acceptable.
http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File5487.pdf

The thing I always tell myself is do I think I'm competent to carry out what is asked of me because when you're in court it's your name on the certificate!

All that said there is no way I would have felt confident undertaking any electrical work after 18 days on the course I did straight away but I wouldn't write it off completely. What are you looking to do long term?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm simply trying to figure the best first step to becoming an electrician which can also work around a full time job. From what you are saying, did you go to college or simply do the course and was lucky enough to find work?

I just cant figure out the best way to do it. I dont mind going to college if it is the best way at night or weekends, but at the same time the money isnt an issue, so would it be best to do the courses out there on offer to work around full time work? And would they be best or are they all just trying to take my money???

appreciate the advice

Hello.

I've been working with electricity for a few years now for a company that installs digital signs and information kiosks etc, plus a bit of DIY electrics but wanted to get some formal qualifications.

I'm now the NICEIC QS for the company I work for and they were perfectly happy with the qualifications I have and where more interested in assessing my abilities. The most complicated thing I found was getting my head around the fact that there isn't technically such a thing as a "qualified electrician", just a competent person with qualifications to back that up if it all goes wrong.

I think the main thing is to look at the type of work you want to be able to do. As much as I'd like to have the full C&G 2357 it just isn't necessary for connecting up street furniture and the odd extractor fan in a domestic property etc, and I didn't really fancy working as an apprentice for 3 / 4 years on ÂŁ150 per week at 26.

The 2392 basically educates you to inspect and test work that you have installed and fill in the appropriate certificates and if you look at the requirements for an NICEIC domestic installer that's perfectly acceptable.

The thing I always tell myself is do I think I'm competent to carry out what is asked of me because when you're in court it's your name on the certificate!

All that said there is no way I would have felt confident undertaking any electrical work after 18 days on the course I did straight away but I wouldn't write it off completely. What are you looking to do long term?

Rich

ignore this. contact your college.

I was already in work luckily and did it on the side. Only reason I posted on this is because we're the same age and I was as confused as you were about all the different courses on offer, which changed as soon as I'd booked them.

I'm in no way trying to say don't go for the full qualifications if you can do it and you have 3 years to wait, but sometimes it just isn't necessary. Understandably this isn't too popular with people who have gone and done a 4 year course but I'm just trying to say research what you need to learn and try and get some hands on experience at the same time.

Hello.

Rich

I can see you learnt alot....as the bit i've highlighted isn't even a qualification....

Im on the beginning of my apprenticeship. Been in for a good few weeks, and ill tell you one thing, the amount of booklets, books, and info i have at the minute i cant see how the hell we are going to get it done in 2-4 years, which leaves me to wonder how you would do it in 18 days?! Take no shortcuts...competency is one of many key factors, and 18 days wont do it. If i get a chance ill upload a picture of my file so far ;-)

Those courses should be illegal, as well as neon screwdrivers. Both at the top of the list. Other than that, the very best of luck and i hope you get the right course and all works out for you.

I know it's a building regulation, I have a qualification on it, it's easy you should try it. Might want to check your facts before patronising me.

I think I'll stick to reading you lot argue instead if getting involved.

LOL.

I think you're the one that needs to check his facts...

How many more people are going to get brainwashed by these stupid providers. Have you ever asked yourself why apprentices don't do the part-p course? Because it's not worth the paper its written on.

Reply to Advice on how to become a qualified Electrician. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net