Discuss Advice on recent Electric Oven installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently had my broken oven replaced in my flat and I paid for delivery and installation.

It was hardwired through an unswitched plate which leads to a fused spur with switch on the wall of the kitchen.

Everything seemed fine until I idly glanced through the installation manual. It states that the electrical connection must be in area A which is the top 100mm. I only glanced at the cavity when it was being done but I think the plate was in the middle. My question is, when they refer to the electrical connection, does that include the plate or where the switch or plug would be going?

I'm concerned that there is risk of melting or fire as it states the rear gets hot, given the dimensions it's unlikely it's touching the plate though.

I should add that I suffer from OCD so I can tend to become a bit obsessed with these things and it's stopping me from using my new oven fully :(

Attached are some pictures for context, I just don't really understand the A zone in the picture. I don't have a picture behind the oven as I don't want to cause more issues pulling it out.

Thanks

instruction.PNG
A zone.PNG

Fused switch ext.PNG
oven hot.PNG

It is a really poor diagram and instruction. however i think as long as there is 35mm between the rear of the oven and the wall then it is "outside the installation site" and therefore not a problem.

I await words of wisdom from other members.

It would seem the best answer is to contact the installer and seek re-assurance. Currently we are required to take into account manufacturers instructions. Although we do not necessarily have to follow them to the letter as each installation is so varied we sometimes need to adapt to get a better result.
Did you get a certificate for the installation? A Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate by any chance. If not I would pursue that at the same time as seeking re-assurance as to the installation.

If that diagram is showing from the front of a kitchen unit, there’s no way anyone would have the connection plate within 100mm of the underside of worktop.

Would be impossible to get hands in there with tools to connect.

A side on view of the oven showing the shape of the back and the distance off the wall would be more useful.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I can't get a side on view unfortunately, there is a removable panel underneath thought that is part of the worktop and I could get my phone with a selfie stick towards the back for a picture, quality isn't great but it does look to be up to the wall unfortunately. I guess my option is to contact the AO who did the installation and look at maybe changing for an oven with less depth?

Towards the bottom of the picture you can see the blue neutral wire on the oven connection. The cable running up the picture is for the hob.

behind 2.PNG

Also got this picture but not sure what I'm looking at:

Behind.jpg

Can you give us model make and number?

We can have a look at any other installation instructions.

I was worried about the “blue neutral wire”, but I see it’s within its connection box, so it’s ok.

Reply to Advice on recent Electric Oven installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net