Discuss ADVICE PLEASE!! What to do when an agency/client does you over? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

m_watters

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some advice. Basically what happened was that mid week I rang an agency who advised me there was a position available to start the following Monday. this was confirmed by a voicemail message and text on the Friday with details of the job in central London. I arrived onsite when I was told, which turned out to be an hour before any inductions was done, then when finally finding the contact person was abruptly told he never requested the additional labour, didn't know why the agency sent me, etc, etc.. So after ringing the agency twice to find out what was going on(only to be told they'd get back to me - which of course they didn't) and emailing multiple times(finally with a invoice for the lost days work) have since been informed that I would not be paid as I never worked any hours.

The issue is that I declined guaranteed work(for a contractor I part-time for occasionally) that day so I've ended up out of pocket a days pay and I'm wondering if anyone has been in similar situations and the outcome? I've yet to speak to CAB about it due to lack of time atm, but any comments would be grateful.

Thanks.

Not been in a situation like that, but would advise you don't delete any e-mails/voice messages/texts etc and keep a log of calls/times/dates for evidence. Also did you keep details of the contact on site as a witness that you had been there?.

I have had that done to me about two dozen times already, that's agencies for you.....which is why I try to avoid them as much as I can....they do that to you hoping that the company will just take you as you are there but you generally get hunted and get a showing up at the same time.....at least you didn't travel 150 miles each way and go into digs the night before like me, after having turned down 8 weeks work when the agency promised me 6 months on site....that was non existent..
The agency person who did that will just grin at you and that will be their attitude..

at least you didn't travel 150 miles each way and go into digs the night before like me, after having turned down 8 weeks work when the agency promised me 6 months on site....that was non existent..

That's [insert profanity of your choice]! It's bad enough for people trying to get work without some idiot messing you about. I don't think I'd react very well if it was me, so well done for not getting nicked.

The agency person who did that will just grin at you

Only briefly.

lodge loss of earnings claim at your local small claims / magistrates court.
it will cost you nothing and will scare the crap out of the agency when summons is popped through their letterbox.
i'd expect a nice cheque to arrive not long after.
at the very least it will stop them doing it to others.

mwatters, all good advice so far. I am sorry that this happened to you, Imago is correct things are difficult enough without having to cope with this type of thing. A couple of others options may be open to you depending on who the Agency is. Firstly are they a member of any type of Trade Association, if so you could write to them explaining what has happened. Secondly some agencies have a connection to the JIB and/or B&ES Agency Alliance. If your Agency is connected to either then contact the relevant body. The Agencies associated with the JIB/Agency Alliance like to work for the majors and need to comply with certain standards to do so. The treatment you have received would not meet those standards. I would approach this on the basis that it is unclear who is at fault here. Either the Contractor misled the Agency due to poor communication or some such or the Agency was just chancing it or made a genuine mistake. Either way their treatment of you is unprofessional, whoever is at fault. Agencies who work for the big boys want to maintain a reputation for high standards and will not want their clients knowing they have treated you in this way, so if this applies to your situation find the appropriate body to complain to. Otherwise Biff55 has offered you a good option. Good luck. The least you should expect is an apology and the first option on further work. Expenses for your time and travel would represent a result.

Thanks Arnold, you've given me an avenue of approach I haven't thought of so far.

Just out of curiosity, could you throw out a few agency names? I'll do some research on the JIB contractors myself and find out who they use, but any help would be appreciated!

Small Claims Court is definitely an option, however its been pointed out I'd probably end up losing a day's pay to fight for this lost day's pay back! I'm all for fighting for the principality of the matter, just can't afford to at the moment..

Thanks again.

mwatters, check out the JIB website I believe that they have a list of their associated Agencies, although it is a long time since I looked so can't be sure. Also try the B&ES website for the Agency Alliance members. Most contractors stick with with same three or four Agencies and most of the big Agencies would be on one of the two lists I have mentioned. The other thing you could try is the Agency's own website to check what their affiliations are.

small claims won't work I don't think as I was sure that they have removed legal aid for most things these days and think that this won't be covered......wouldn't like to think of somebody paying £1500 + to chase back about £100.00 then getting blackballed for jobs, who can be sure that the old list is not there in one form or another...if they did it before years ago they will be more likely to do it again... I would just score out any agency on your list that messes you about as if they did it once, more will follow, and its not worth having them turn on you...the more people they mess about, the less workers they will have to sell, and the more business will go to the few good agencies that there are...

Reply to ADVICE PLEASE!! What to do when an agency/client does you over? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net