Discuss Applying for ECS Card in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Marooned

Hi Guys !

I'm new to this site and this is my first post, so I'm not sure if it's in the right section !

Anyway, I'm in a slight dilemma. I'm looking to apply for an ECS card, but not sure what my qualifications allow me to go for.

I did an apprenticeship with British Rail from 1990 to 1994 and got an NVQ Level 3 Electrical Manufacture (Craft Competences) Electrical & Electronic. The certificate has City and Guilds on it as well as EnTra, but no course code. The courses I did as an apprentice were C&G 2011, 2328, 2320 & 2140.

I left BR, and worked for a Building Maintenance company. During this time, I took the 16th Edition Wiring Regs course and 4 years later completed Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (C&G 2391) I now work in a high tech factory environment carrying out electrical maintenance and installations, obviously filling out Minor Works and Installation Certificates.

I took the 17th Edition Regs course (2382-10) 2 years ago and PAT Testing course (2377-22) last year.

I've looked at the ECS Card application form and was wondering if I could apply for the Approved Electrician Gold Card. Do I need to have done C&G 2360 to be classed as an Electrician ?

Also, where do I stand with Part P ? My old Electrical Qualifying Manager told me I was "more than qualified to carry out Part P work" due to having my Inspection and Test certificate, but I,m not so sure !

first thing to do is go for ecs card. book it through ECA. it's just a H&S exam , cost £42. that will allow you to work on site. then contact ECA again to see what grading you can get with the quals. that you have.

Thanks for the replies, I'll book the health and safety exam and see what they offer me as telectrix recommended. I know I'm a bit previous, but I've filled out the application form too and gone for the Approved Electrician status. I'll let you guys know how I get on !

Hi Guys !

I'm new to this site and this is my first post, so I'm not sure if it's in the right section !

Anyway, I'm in a slight dilemma. I'm looking to apply for an ECS card, but not sure what my qualifications allow me to go for.

I did an apprenticeship with British Rail from 1990 to 1994 and got an NVQ Level 3 Electrical Manufacture (Craft Competences) Electrical & Electronic. The certificate has City and Guilds on it as well as EnTra, but no course code. The courses I did as an apprentice were C&G 2011, 2328, 2320 & 2140.

I left BR, and worked for a Building Maintenance company. During this time, I took the 16th Edition Wiring Regs course and 4 years later completed Level 3 Certificate in Inspection, Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations (C&G 2391) I now work in a high tech factory environment carrying out electrical maintenance and installations, obviously filling out Minor Works and Installation Certificates.

I took the 17th Edition Regs course (2382-10) 2 years ago and PAT Testing course (2377-22) last year.

I've looked at the ECS Card application form and was wondering if I could apply for the Approved Electrician Gold Card. Do I need to have done C&G 2360 to be classed as an Electrician ?

Also, where do I stand with Part P ? My old Electrical Qualifying Manager told me I was "more than qualified to carry out Part P work" due to having my Inspection and Test certificate, but I,m not so sure !

He is right, you are overqualified if anything. You do not have to have any separate quals for part P notifiable work, you just proceed as normal with the addition of notifying it to building control through your desired method.

Part P scheme membership requirements can be as little as 17th edition qual only !

Thanks Andy and Voltz for the replies !
I've only worked for larger organisations, so I suppose any notifications to Building Control was carried out by themselves. Is there an online way to contact them nowadays ? I only ask because recently I have been asked to carry out domestic work for friends, family and need to change my old Wylex board. Normally I reply by saying "I can't do the work because I can't certificate it" but it's something I do nearly every day of the week.
So in general, if I get an approved electrician card and notify building control then I can change my old DB and carry out my testing, writing the results on the test certs on a copy of the ones in the regs ?

Thanks Andy and Voltz for the replies !
I've only worked for larger organisations, so I suppose any notifications to Building Control was carried out by themselves. Is there an online way to contact them nowadays ? I only ask because recently I have been asked to carry out domestic work for friends, family and need to change my old Wylex board. Normally I reply by saying "I can't do the work because I can't certificate it" but it's something I do nearly every day of the week.
So in general, if I get an approved electrician card and notify building control then I can change my old DB and carry out my testing, writing the results on the test certs on a copy of the ones in the regs ?

To notify you can contact your local building control office direct and ask them what their fee is. They vary by local authority. They will come and see your job at first and second fix, or maybe not at all if they know the extent of your quals. Fees can run into the hundreds just for the one job though, which is why the more popular alternative is to notify through a part P scheme.

They will charge a few hundred a year to have you as a member, then a couple of quid to notify each job on your behalf. You show them a job or two in an initial assessment to prove your competence and you are away.Swapping your CU would be a suitable job to do for an assessment. Whether this makes any financial sense depends on how many notifiable jobs you do a year.

Please note that the scope of part P notifiable work got scaled back last April, so you might be able to carry out smaller domestic jobs without notifying. Notifiable work includes CU changes, any work inside the zones of a bathroom, any other special location work, and any new circuit.
Full list is here.....
http://www.elecsa.co.uk/Documents/Public-Documents/Contractors/Notifiable-Work-in-England-2013.aspx

Copies of model form certs to print out are here...
Elecsa - For Electrical Contractors

The easiest way to get this is to get an application form from this link. Print out this form and send it together with your proof of identity and qualifications to this address:
ECS Administration, PO Box 127, Swanley BR8 9BH

are you posting all the way from Vermont , USA , Shaz.B ?
i have a soft spot for american chicks.
:-D

Reply to Applying for ECS Card in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net