Discuss Are unnecessarily installed conduit seals required to be poured by code? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
In the oil and gas industry (working around hazardous areas), I commonly see conduit seals in places that they should not have been installed, but not being able to wait for the conduit to be re-done due to project startups, the seals are left as they were installed. Oftentimes, these do not get poured since they were unnecessarily installed in the first place (justs costs extra money to install them). I've had a few electrical inspectors mention that the NEC code requires these seals to be poured if they are installed, but I can't seem to find evidence within the code to backup this claim. Any help or suggestions?

In the oil and gas industry (working around hazardous areas), I commonly see conduit seals in places that they should not have been installed, but not being able to wait for the conduit to be re-done due to project startups, the seals are left as they were installed. Oftentimes, these do not get poured since they were unnecessarily installed in the first place (justs costs extra money to install them). I've had a few electrical inspectors mention that the NEC code requires these seals to be poured if they are installed, but I can't seem to find evidence within the code to backup this claim. Any help or suggestions?
You need to read articles 500 and 501 it states all seals be poured. It’s common sense that without the seal not being poured explosive fumes can get in the panel. If you don’t need that particular conduit just cut the pipe at the panel and install a plug in the pipe and a good tight hole seal for the panel and your problem will be solved. Maybe in the future someone will need that conduit for something else. Good luck

You need to read articles 500 and 501 it states all seals be poured. It’s common sense that without the seal not being poured explosive fumes can get in the panel. If you don’t need that particular conduit just cut the pipe at the panel and install a plug in the pipe and a good tight hole seal for the panel and your problem will be solved. Maybe in the future someone will need that conduit for something else. Good luck
I think you misunderstood my question and scenario. I understand that it is common sense to pour seals where they are needed and required by code, but I'm referring to specific instances of seals being installed in error (where they wouldn't be required by code) - whether those seals installed in error must be sealed or not. Also, this is referring to instances where the conduit is needed and being used so your last couple statements are not related to my scenario.

According to the NEC all sealoffs must be poured in a class 1 division 2 or class 1 division 1 environment. It’s up to the authorities having jurisdiction. I’ve worked in many classified areas and always poured the sealoffs. The plant engineers make that call. Look up article 501 classification of hazardous locations in the NEC

Reply to Are unnecessarily installed conduit seals required to be poured by code? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock