Discuss As an mature adult, fastest pathway to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am looking to change careers after i had a failed business due to covid and looking to go into becoming an electrician. My research has brought me to start with city and guilds 2365 level 2 and 3, would that be right? In your opinion if i succeed in level would i have enough knowledge to pass 18th edition and perhaps also do some odd jobs domestically whilst also doing the level 3?

all help would be appreciate as the pathways are not clear cut please also consider i am in my early 40s.

Do you have any electrical experience or knowledge?

Hi dpg.

No I do not, but I guess I need to start somewhere?

Yes, sorry not trying to be excessively negative. But experience is going to be a big factor and vital before you start doing work on your own.

Hi,give us a clue as to your build up,to this decision.

How much practical electrical work have you been involved in? Any building or technical knowledge,SE work,kit or tools,or other info,may allow more accurate guidance.

You may have to brace yourself for what may seem harsh,curt or less than optimistic posts,but it would be a loving tickle,compared to your first encounter with a bad customer ?

Hi,give us a clue as to your build up,to this decision.

How much practical electrical work have you been involved in? Any building or technical knowledge,SE work,kit or tools,or other info,may allow more accurate guidance.

You may have to brace yourself for what may seem harsh,curt or less than optimistic posts,but it would be a loving tickle,compared to your first encounter with a bad customer ?
Yes your right, I'm an optimist and want to stay optimistic so as much as life experience teaches me nothing is easy but also nothing is impossible, especially becoming an electrician.

Just the fact an electrician trade is always needed, I have business background so would know how to start and how to create customer base, so at the moment no experience as mentioned in the last message. Also all due respect I already know about the hurdles and getting experience, the question is about the fastest way forward please.

Well least you have business experience which is good, when being SE that comes first, but are you practically minded.This cannot be teached IMO.

I get the impression you want to walk before you can crawl, slow down this trade cannot be rushed.
Experience is everything and to get that it takes time.

Hi,thanks for reply,it may be easier to advise,if you could give us what you anticipate to be,the time scale,you are setting yourself,to be actively trading,as a spark.
This would allow a realistic planning,of required skills and qualifications.

There are a host of practical skills,you will have to master,as learning at a customers property,is never a good idea?

Some tasks are maybe not what you may have ever associated,with an electricians trade...in the same way,there are students at the beginning of a medical career,who do not know yet,that to be a good orthapedic surgeon,they will have to master the use of cordless drills,rasps,torque drivers,chisels and hammers ?

There are quite few threads on this subject. Have a search, but you say quickest route.

there really is no quick route If you want to do this properly, and you really should do it properly if you want to become a good sparkie.

alternatively go the quick short course route, but I for one and virtually every member on this forum would discourage this.

There are quite few threads on this subject. Have a search, but you say quickest route.

there really is no quick route If you want to do this properly, and you really should do it properly if you want to become a good sparkie.

alternatively go the quick short course route, but I for one and virtually every member on this forum would discourage this.
When I say the quickest route I meant the quickest not necessarily something I can finish in couple of months, I've given myself1- 2 years as an apprentice can take 2-4 years simply because mostly they are young and have life inexperience.

Thus far I have come to conclusion not to do the domestic installer courses as they seem a bit cowboyish, rather do the 2365 diploma, 2391-52, 18th edition, and nvq 3, would that be right?

When I say the quickest route I meant the quickest not necessarily something I can finish in couple of months, I've given myself1- 2 years as an apprentice can take 2-4 years simply because mostly they are young and have life inexperience.

Thus far I have come to conclusion not to do the domestic installer courses as they seem a bit cowboyish, rather do the 2365 diploma, 2391-52, 18th edition, and nvq 3, would that be right?
that is exactly right. you do 2365 levels 2 and 3, 18th concurrently, then nvq3 and am2. for the nvq3 you need to be working in the trade and produce a portfolio of works undertaken.

Fantastic. Wish you all the luck. Fantastic industry to get into.

your definately on the right track in your thinking.

Reply to As an mature adult, fastest pathway to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net