Discuss Becoming an Electrician as a Mature Student in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking to re-train as an Electrician as i have been made redundant - i am in my mid thirties -and was about to go down the Domestic Installer route, when I was told there not really worth the paper their written on. So I have decided to do the City & Guilds 2330 Lv 2+ 3, and eventually complete my NVQ 2356. However this is part time and a lot of theory work.. Does anybody know how I can gain valuable work placement experience as I train. I'm looking to train with OLCI as a provider and am not sure how reliable they are. Thank you..

Last edited:
Hi Davey.
Sorry to read you have been made redundant. There are also lot of electricians redundant at the moment so you are entering the industry at a competitive time.
To become a 'time served' electrician means just that - A 4 year apprenticeship working alsong side a qualified and experienced mentor whilst gathering workplace evidence to complie an NVQ level 3 portfolio, and attending day release college to gain underpinning knowledge in the form of the C&G 2330 levels 2&3. It is usually expected that a typical apprentice may also undertake other theory and practical courses to supplement these such as H&S appreciation, AM2 etc. It can sometimes be difficult for a mature apprentice to find a placement as funding grants and employment law tends to favour the under 19s (Equal opportunity does not seem very equal here) . The so called 'Fast Track' qualifications are not really recognised in the industry as The 2330 is only as small part of what qualifies an electrician. Colleges will, of course, sign up candidates on their courses as that's how they earn their money, but it would be difficult to make a career as an electrician on just that.
Some do make it and there's no reason why you could not be one of them, given the opportunity. You may want to consider securing a placement before committing to the course as many employers use the courses offered by their preferred training providers. Good luck.

Hi Davey,
Same situation here, only that I was made redundant 18months ago, since then been working as a temp, (Customer services), but contract only gets renewed every 3-6 months, subject to market forces!!
I am too looking to get into the electrician field, and I'm finding it difficult due to having responsibilities, mortgage, family etc.
I have looked at the college route as suggested by others on the forum, but my local college does not offer night classes, and wont acknowlege me for the 1 day a week course (too old 39yrs), apprentiship needed!
I have found a college which offers the night course 2 nights a week 3 hrs per night, but it's a 100 mile round trip each evening, and course starts at 18.00hrs, so cant go as dont finish work til 17.30hrs!
It's not a viable option for me going the college route as suggested, so I'm looking to private companies. I have narrowed it down to two, but am open to others advice as they may have been there done it.
The two I've narrowed it down to are OLCI & Trade Qualified, reasons for this are OLCI offer the C&G 2330 level 2/3 & also 2356, which no-one else seems to offer except the colleges, and Trade Qualified, as they offer the Inspections quals and also include some training on phase 3, which others dont.

I am fully aware that which ever company I choose I will not be a fully qualified electrician when the course finishes, but I will have the qualifications which will enable me to gain the experience too become an Electrician, in time. My intention is to work for a firm as a mate, then move up as my experience grows.
To start with I will continue to work in my current position, as long as I can, so as to give stability, and more importantly an income!
Best of luck whatever you decide,
Andy

'Think this Thread probably needs moving to the relevant section'

Last edited:
Hi Davey,
I was in your positoin 5 years ago at the age of 41. I went down the 2330 level 3 route at my local college which I believe gave me a great theoretic Knowledge. I was then given the oppertunity to work along side a very good friend of mine who had his own business as a mate for 3 years. fortunitly for me at the time Gloucestershire had suffered some of the worst flooding in recent history creating a lot of work ( not so fortunate for the people that got flooded I know).Now moved onto operating as a reasonably successful self employed spark. The point I am trying to make is anything is possible if your prepared to put a lot of effort, time and perseverance in if you want to succeed.
Good luck

Hi, Im in my early thirties and decided to re-train as an electrician at the beginning of this year, having had no previous experience. I completed my Level 2 2330 on a Fastrack 3 month course at a local college along with 17th edition and Test and Inspect 2392. I am now doing the level 3 2330 and hopefully the NVQ (when I can get suitable employment) once a week at college. The college route rather than the training centre route is definately the cheaper route to go and I've paid a total of approx £5000 for all the above qualifications. Also the various colleges do vary in price, so ring around and see what they can offer. Some of them also offer discounts if you are on Job seekers even if is just for a short period of time and I know people at my college who paid significantly less than I did for all the same qualifications. Also if you can try and do some research from people who have previously been at the college as to the standard of the tutors as some are terrible!!The college work is fairly tough but if you are committed and work hard its not a problem and to be honest I've really enjoyed it but dont expect an easy ride.

Job prospects: Its very tough out there, especially in the current economic climate and especially if you have little experience. I kid you not Ive probably contacted 150 plus companies and had one interview and certainly no job. Im on the books at numerous job agencies (who often talk a good game but seem to rarely deliver), keep an eye on job sites, pretty much do all I can but nothing. Ive been working on a self employed basis and have been lucky that I have a few local contacts and probably on average work 2/3 days a week either for electricians or small jobs that are within my experience level on my own, which is priceless for experience, but often for little money. On my level 3 course, 2 out of 10 adults have work and the rest are scratching about like myself.
Basically, if your gonna do it, you have to be prepared for some tough times and keep positive. Im hoping that just by pure persistance, building up experience and getting to know more and more people in the industry something will come in. The whole doing a quick course and earning £30,000 plus a year just isnt gonna happen. Its a great trade and if you can worm your way in I think your sorted for life but its definately a hard slog!!

I am in the same postion ,40yrs old came back in the trade after 15yrs out of the electrical side.Got up to date did the Part P, 2391,17th over the last 3/4yrs.I worked for myself in Uk and abroad then the world went ---- came back to the UK just a the height of the resession. So working for a contractor can do all the jobs but because dont have NVQ don`t get full pay.I only have 2360 part 1 so was looking at doing the fast tract 2330,2356 as have all the experience and some qualifications but need the last bit and doesn`t come cheap.So have looked at the other training sites and have heard so many bad things .All the coledges are full round me so only way is the fast track as can`t have any more time off.But this is the way need the paperwork to get the top rates and house bashing prices are ---- round me due to eastern european people doing the work for a third of the price so can`t compete and people don`t care about paperwork just the price.So need to get out and need the Olci route or other one but all seem high priced and alot of people aren`t happy with the service,so am reluctant to part with my hard earned any advice on best trainer and which extras should I try and get and how much should I pay for 2330,2 and 3 and NVQ.

Hi all. I'm also trying to 'worm my way in' ;) to this industry and am finding it incredibly difficult! Have a background in electronics so my principles are fine. and many years experience in a related industry. Have worked on PLC's (programmable logic controllers), ac/dc motors and associated control circuits, switch mode PSU's, domestic stuff too. I have tried to get into building services work as BMS systems are very similar to PLC's but even then I have got to interview and been told 'oh but because you have never worked on three phase it would be too much to train you....my arguement has been 'I have worked and tested live dc circuits generating well over 1000v with enough amperage to kill and I ain't dead yet! Didn't work though! lol

I myself am not sure that the 2330 2+3 to NVQ is the best route but it is mention by the IET as being the way to go. As for OLCI so far not impressed but then I only have my college education to compare which isn't a fair comparison as colleges tend to want (not always the case I'm sure) to help students more than private training companies. Davey345 if you are unemployed I know that there are colleges offering 2330 for £30 a year. It >may take you longer< but if you don't have any theory behind you it could well work out better. 2330 level 3 principles could be hard going if you've not seen this kind of maths before.

Reply to Becoming an Electrician as a Mature Student in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net