Discuss BS 8519 and advice on cables please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

john wheeler

Hi Chaps.
First time I tried this forum post lark.

I am trying to find out if my interpretation of BS 8519 is correct?

Are you able to offer me a little advice?

I am picking up from other cable suppliers and consulting engineers that there is a large amount of ‘interpretation’ in the specification of cables for life safety system. I understand that:
· BS 8519 cables should be used in large and complex buildings, particularly for sub-mains to Firefighting applications, and should achieve resistance to Category F3 120mins.
· On smaller and less complex buildings BS 7346 “Components for smoke control systems” is current and still applies.
· BS 7846 armoured cables should be used for circuits that are required to continue operation in a fire, and should achieve Category F2 for 120 mins.

My view is that for normal residential non-complex buildings:
· FP600 should be used for 400V 3-phase mains cables from the mains supply to our panel (which we treat as sub-mains as if our panel was a local ‘distribution board’)
· FP400 should be used for 400V 3-phase power to the mechanical fans from our panel (on the basis that this is not sub-mains)
· FP200 should be used for 24v DC supply to our LV components.
· Non fire rated cable (2C+E, multicore etc) is used for all supplementary non-life safety functions such as single phase comfort cooling fans, thermostats, rain sensors etc)
Can you confirm that this is an acceptable interpretation?
Is there a better or safer system I should be using?

I hope this is the right place to try as you probably understand the rules better than I do.

Regards

Hi John and welcome to the forum.

Reply to BS 8519 and advice on cables please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net