Discuss Sanity Check and Cable Sizing: Adding RV Subpanel in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have been researching the NEC and forums on the Internet in preparation for adding an RV subpanel electrical hookup. I could use a sanity check to make sure that I'm buying the right type of cable(s), and that I'm adhering to code as best I can.

I have 200a service to my main panel. I am planning on adding a sub-panel, pedestal-mounted box, just like you'd see at an RV park, with three plugs (i.e., one 240V 50A (14-50R), one 30A 120V TT30, and one standard GFCI 20A 120v). I purchased a Siemens TL137US panel, which fits the bill. The bus in that panel is rated for 125a service, and it comes pre-wired with the breakers and recepticles

The distance between my main panel and where the RV hookup will go is approximately 275'. There is 2" PVC conduit already in place between the main panel and where the RV will go. I have a pull rope in the conduit, ready to go, and I bought a copious amount of lube.

I bought a 125a double-pole breaker to add to the main panel. The breakers in the subpanel (Siemens TL137US) come pre-wired--you just have to hook up your four wires (2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground). The sub panel accepts up to 2/0 on the hots and neutral, and 4 on the ground. The double-pole breaker that I bought also accepts 2/0. I plan to install two grounding rods at the RV subpanel.

I am thinking of running 2/0-2/0-1-4 Aluminum Mobile Home Feeder Cable (MHF), but I'm not sure whether the reduced neutral will present any issues. I thought about doing 2/0, 2/0, 2/0 (full-size neutral) and 4 using XHHW-2, but that'd put me at 1.76", which I doubt would fit through 2' conduit. The 2/0-2/0-1-4 is only 1.30", so that should be much more manageable.

I would really like to run the best cable that I can, because it'd be nice to use both the 50a service and the 30a service at the same time (i.e., if I had two RV guests). I'm really trying to avoid having to pay 1.5x more for copper.

Thoughts and sanity check? Can I go with the 2/0-2/0-1-4 ?

Hi folks,

I have been researching the NEC and forums on the Internet in preparation for adding an RV subpanel electrical hookup. I could use a sanity check to make sure that I'm buying the right type of cable(s), and that I'm adhering to code as best I can.

I have 200a service to my main panel. I am planning on adding a sub-panel, pedestal-mounted box, just like you'd see at an RV park, with three plugs (i.e., one 240V 50A (14-50R), one 30A 120V TT30, and one standard GFCI 20A 120v). I purchased a Siemens TL137US panel, which fits the bill. The bus in that panel is rated for 125a service, and it comes pre-wired with the breakers and recepticles

The distance between my main panel and where the RV hookup will go is approximately 275'. There is 2" PVC conduit already in place between the main panel and where the RV will go. I have a pull rope in the conduit, ready to go, and I bought a copious amount of lube.

I bought a 125a double-pole breaker to add to the main panel. The breakers in the subpanel (Siemens TL137US) come pre-wired--you just have to hook up your four wires (2 hots, 1 neutral, and 1 ground). The sub panel accepts up to 2/0 on the hots and neutral, and 4 on the ground. The double-pole breaker that I bought also accepts 2/0. I plan to install two grounding rods at the RV subpanel.

I am thinking of running 2/0-2/0-1-4 Aluminum Mobile Home Feeder Cable (MHF), but I'm not sure whether the reduced neutral will present any issues. I thought about doing 2/0, 2/0, 2/0 (full-size neutral) and 4 using XHHW-2, but that'd put me at 1.76", which I doubt would fit through 2' conduit. The 2/0-2/0-1-4 is only 1.30", so that should be much more manageable.

I would really like to run the best cable that I can, because it'd be nice to use both the 50a service and the 30a service at the same time (i.e., if I had two RV guests). I'm really trying to avoid having to pay 1.5x more for copper.

Thoughts and sanity check? Can I go with the 2/0-2/0-1-4 ?
For a 125 amp service I always pull 3 #4 copper and a # 8 ground. I know that copper is more expensive but it will slide in a 2 inch conduit very easily. What ever you pull aluminum or copper will go fairly easy. Sub panels always require a 4 wire service and do not install ground rods. You must add a ground bar in your sub panel to keep the neutrals separated from the grounds. Sorry such a late reply

Reply to Sanity Check and Cable Sizing: Adding RV Subpanel in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net