Search the forum,

Discuss Bs7671!? Does it need a good re-write? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ricardo123

Anyone else notice in the latest 17th edition there's actually some clear guidance at the end on a few of the pages. More clarity and less ambiguity seems to be creeping in, maybe even in the 18th edition we might see more of the book providing some proper guidance for the average working sparky and an end to this traditional specification style rubbish. Is it long overdue for the IEE committee to actually start moving with the times. Any comments anyone?

From some reading today I particularly like 522.8.10 "at a sufficient depth" - sounds like a licence for a short cut for the cowboys to me.

Just think of how easy it would be to enter some simple guideline depths?

18th edition !!!!!!!!!! just about choked on my cup of tea and custard cream I have done 14,15,16,& 17 so please no 18th until 2013

I know it's not a statutory document, but I see the actual Big Red Book as more of a legal statement. It's not designed for clarity, more for instruction. I think the fact that there is the range of Guidance Note publications demonstrates this.

I know it's not a statutory document, but I see the actual Big Red Book as more of a legal statement. It's not designed for clarity, more for instruction. I think the fact that there is the range of Guidance Note publications demonstrates this.

Yes but it would be great if they would just clarify where they stand ,for example how many 60A TNS supplies are in this country ? and why cant they state or give guidlines along the route of well if your gas and water pipeworks are only a up to 10 metres from the DB then yes you can use the existing 6mm earth cable
why cant we take the car manufacturing industry on board yes they produce 3.5 million Ford Focus a year but there is only 8 models and all are based around the same chasis it the same with domestic installations there may be 40 million but the supply types and ratings are probably 3 and 2 ie TNS TNCS TT 60A 100A so instead of urban mythes and having to negotiate with a plumber or joiner who has a mate who said..........................

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Bs7671!? Does it need a good re-write? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net