Discuss Cable Size Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES SPARK

Hi all, we first fixed a extension a couple of weeks ago and they were going to have a 10.5 kw convection oven so we ran a 10mm cable to it... we have gone back to second fix today but they are not having that oven anymore instead they are now having a 4.6kw oven so 20A, now the guy I was working with is saying that the cable is now too big and needs replacing, I might be wrong but am I right in thinking that we can just down rate the MCP and keep the 10mm cable? or does the cable need to be smaller?
thanks guys.

well he wanted to down grade it because this new oven was only going to pull 20A and we have10mm cable that's why I was having the argument that we can keep the cable and down rate to a 20A MCB

the cable would have been too big for original appliance as you are probably allowing for diversity, if your allowing for diversity yes the calculation only comes to 20.68A or 25.68A If theres a socket, but personally I don't like using diversity for cookers as for peace of mind at Christmas when they are probably using all hobs and oven so I go to manufacturers spec which is 10.5kw so 45.6A and for the reference method how we installed it 10mm takes 45A, little bit more expensive yes but nice to know cable size takes total demand, im a young spark finished last year and as for me asking the question this was because another spark who is older than me so more experienced was arguing that cable was too big, where I said we can just change breaker so I guess him saying that baffled me a bit don't know why so sorry for stupid question

Rip out the cable and put a smaller one in.

Don't listen to any of the idiots above who think that you can chop and change the standard circuits in the OSG as they fancy.

How on earth do you think a 10mm cable will manage to carry 20A?

Reply to Cable Size Advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net