Discuss cable size for shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It’s bad practice though isn’t it, when carrying out EICR’S I code it as a C3 with no thermal effects and downgrade mcb to 32A rather than the 40A installed. If I’m asked to replace faulty shower which is 8.5kw or above on a 6mm cable I will renew cable with 10mm it’s the right thing to do isn’t it.
Yes it is. Of course 4mm would, nt meet any parameters and of I,m not suggesting it be used. What I am suggesting is there might be reasons to reconsider how we calculate cable size for loads like electric showers which in reality tend to be used a lot more sparingly than perhaps other loads like heat pumps which have more constant use . My shower is an 8.5 kW wired in 4 mm. The OP is talking about installing the same shower in 16mm.Are we missing something?
I regularly see 6mm covered in insulation in family homes where the shower is used 4 to 5 times a day without no obvious side effects

Yes it is. Of course 4mm would, nt meet any parameters and of I,m not suggesting it be used. What I am suggesting is there might be reasons to reconsider how we calculate cable size for loads like electric showers which in reality tend to be used a lot more sparingly than perhaps other loads like heat pumps which have more constant use . My shower is an 8.5 kW wired in 4 mm. The OP is talking about installing the same shower in 16mm.Are we missing something?
I regularly see 6mm covered in insulation in family homes where the shower is used 4 to 5 times a day without no obvious side effects
Yes fair enough I deviated from the OP using 16mm is overkill isn’t it. Yea it’s for sustained periods which would cause the problems isn’t it tbh a shower is not constantly run so the chances of damage are minimal but I just like to stick to my beliefs and prefer 10mm on shower circuits gives me peace of mind.

Yes. I posed a question on a different forum as to whether any spark had come across a heat damaged 6mm cable supplying an electric shower.?. No one had. I personally never have. House I, m currently renting has our shower wired in 4mm (lying on top of, not under insulation) .To date every shower repair I have personally carried out has always been either a heat damaged pull switch or a heat damaged rcbo
Nope never
Always the pull switch connections or a point of termination at shower/CU thats loose
Ive seen a few 6mm/10.5KW/45A mcb combinations that had obviously been in service for years with no issues

Unless its a special situation i always use 10mm standard for showers now
Notsure i would attempt to use 16mm tho, thats a brave man there!

Nope never
Always the pull switch connections or a point of termination at shower/CU thats loose
Ive seen a few 6mm/10.5KW/45A mcb combinations that had obviously been in service for years with no issues

Unless its a special situation i always use 10mm standard for showers now
Notsure i would attempt to use 16mm tho, thats a brave man there!
I appreciate that 10mm is becoming the new norm. Makes sense long term. It would also be helpful if plumbers refuse to install 10.5 kW showers before first checking the size of the existing supply.

Reply to cable size for shower in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock