Discuss Cable type, please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Is this PILC?
Found today, running along an external wall, with some all-round band for extra support...
Always interested in odd cables, so please let me know!

1639514224149.png

It is almost certainly paper insulated but not lead sheathed, the outer looks like steel banding.

Last edited:
and a few bits of all-round "band" to help with the support!
It comes out of the ground, runs about 35 m along that exterior wall to the house, and disappears inside...the adjacent garage is fed by 4mm T&E pinned to the same wall

Many thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it.
Always trying to add to my knowledge base!
I don't think it's a water pipe, but that was a possibility at one point...however, no other water supplies run overground in this vicinity that I am aware of.
I suppose if I had to describe it, i'd say it was like a lead pipe, sheathed in what I used to know as Sylglass tape...not the metal foil covered stuff, just the basic stuff which was some kind of fabric mesh impregnated with a sticky goo...I expect some on here have never heard of it!
Whatever it is, thank you all again for your suggestions.

Bog standard PILC STA. Paper insulation, lead sheath, steel tape armour and tarred hessian serving that has weathered and peeled off. You can have PILC without the armour or with SWA, but the lead always has to be there underneath to provide the hermetic seal against moisture.

Reply to Cable type, please... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Happy New Year all. Quick question regarding cable sizing. I have a 25m run from DB to car charging unit. The 25m run will mean approx 8m is run...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I don’t really know where to post this, sorry if it’s in the wrong place. After posting a thread about old lead sheathed cable in my...
Replies
Views
I'm obviously still new and learning about what I can and cannot do, but essentially I want to install an EVSE at my own house for an electric...
Replies
Views
Hi. I live in an older house and I have old white twin and earth cables going through walls in large white pipes. Unfortunately, some mice managed...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm in the process of getting my qualifications and am taking on some small jobs for family to try and get some experience in. Today I was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock