Discuss Circuit upgrading? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance as I am not an electrician as well the length of this post...

Before I hire a professional electrician, I have 2 questions regarding circuit breakers. I want to confirm what a local electrician tells me before I hire them as some are known to inflate what is actually needed ever since Hurricane Michael!

First my questions are regarding the panel inside the garage, not the main box on the outside of the house.

Kitchen

We have several normal appliances in our kitchen (microwave, range, toaster etc.).

When we use our toaster, frier and microwave at the same time we blow a circuit. Can this be a simple upgrade by increasing the amps of the circuit at the box located in the garage? It is currently a 20 amp circuit.

If not, is it possible to add a circuit at the box and move wiring of some of the outlets in the box to the new circuit or does new wiring need to be run?

Garage

I have recently started a wood working business and have purchased several machines. When I have several on at once, of course a circuit gets flipped off and it is also a 20amp

None of the machines are 220v.

Same question as the kitchen applies - can a simple amperage upgrade take care of this or do I need to have a new circuit installed?

Thanks in advance for your advice and responses

get a couple of different quotes, it is likely that the wiring will need upgrading as well as the circuit breaker.
however, only a site visit can tell if the cables are capable of running more power than currently the overload devices are rated at.

Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance as I am not an electrician as well the length of this post...

Before I hire a professional electrician, I have 2 questions regarding circuit breakers. I want to confirm what a local electrician tells me before I hire them as some are known to inflate what is actually needed ever since Hurricane Michael!

First my questions are regarding the panel inside the garage, not the main box on the outside of the house.

Kitchen

We have several normal appliances in our kitchen (microwave, range, toaster etc.).

When we use our toaster, frier and microwave at the same time we blow a circuit. Can this be a simple upgrade by increasing the amps of the circuit at the box located in the garage? It is currently a 20 amp circuit.

If not, is it possible to add a circuit at the box and move wiring of some of the outlets in the box to the new circuit or does new wiring need to be run?

Garage

I have recently started a wood working business and have purchased several machines. When I have several on at once, of course a circuit gets flipped off and it is also a 20amp

None of the machines are 220v.

Same question as the kitchen applies - can a simple amperage upgrade take care of this or do I need to have a new circuit installed?

Thanks in advance for your advice and responses
To start with the microwave should be on a circuit by it self. Your garage probably has all your receptacles on one 20 amp single pole breaker and with you having a wood working business you need several isolated 20 amp circuits. No you cannot install a bigger breaker because the wire is sized for that breaker. For instance a 20 amp breaker requires # 12 wire and if you install a 30 amp breaker you will need to changed to # 10 wire. All receptacles in a garage has to be GFCI protected. Good luck

Thanks all,
Spoke with an electrician yesterday...

The Kitchen - he says he split the kitchen sockets since when the circuit is overloaded, the lights and garbage disp do not go out. He says he will jump from the switch for the disposal to one of the sockets to isolate those sockets
$75 is the price - works for me

The garage -He will install a separate socket for my dust control so it is isolated with one of the freezers we have in the garage which should solve the overload in the garage. running the wiring and socket (metal conduit) $150

Thanks everyone for your input- it has been invaluable and timely and I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Thanks all,
Spoke with an electrician yesterday...

The Kitchen - he says he split the kitchen sockets since when the circuit is overloaded, the lights and garbage disp do not go out. He says he will jump from the switch for the disposal to one of the sockets to isolate those sockets
$75 is the price - works for me

The garage -He will install a separate socket for my dust control so it is isolated with one of the freezers we have in the garage which should solve the overload in the garage. running the wiring and socket (metal conduit) $150

Thanks everyone for your input- it has been invaluable and timely and I greatly appreciate your assistance!
Those are awesome prices but just make sure to ALL receptacles need to be GFCI or GFCI protected which could be the breaker. Glad we could help and we wish you the best. If you need anything else you know where to get your answers

Reply to Circuit upgrading? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net