Search the forum,

Discuss Compex Qualification Confirmation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mickeyspark

These days its seems as though every agency asks for a qualification that you do not have, or sometimes not heard of before. Even after 30 yrs as a spark I still don't have the right Health and Safety ticket to work on certain projects.

At great expense to myself and a week out from earning, completed and passed Compex 1,2,3,4, and at my age was very pleased with myself.
However, on the JIB site under definitions, there is nothing that mentions COMPEX!
Do they not see that as an acheivement or a valid course? You can only work in certain Industrys if you have this qualification, because of the extreme potential outcome if things are not done right(Piper Alfa)e.g.

Am I being a complete dork and not looking in the right place or am I right in saying there is no JIB qualifaction for Compex you can have on your card?
As of yet no response from the JIB......

All the JIB seemed bothed about is the lowly CSCS aspect and lets face it, doesn't use up any brain cells to get through that one.

Any pointers or experience of this would be greatly received.

Thanks Mickeyspark

Sorry I cant give you any help on your post, but was wondering how you found the compex course and what is involved in it? I am on the course in March.

Cheers.

Hi mate, Would agree with you on the courses thing,
The petrochem industry and most blue book jobs always want a bloody safety passport and possibly compex depending on what the role is, generally i think its only those that will be testing.
JIB is a waste of time really I think, like you say its just a money maker really, sit a monkey exam costing 35 notes everyh two years and they dont care what else youv'e got!
To make it worse they recently tried to bring in Skilled Mechanical Assemblers to replace sparks assembling strut and rack, Just what you want from the organisation looking after us!

The world of a Spark can be vast, we can't possibly know everything in all aspects of the trade.
Compex for some may be easier, due to the industry they work, for me it was like a foreign language.
Surprisingly though after the first couple of days it just clicks and you realise you have been to some of these places before. The only thing was no one gave you the time to explain or gave to much credence to potential serious situations (explosive gases) so for me it was quite an eye opener.
Even the people I joined on the course questioned the Safety of a large steel Company.

The course does make you aware of the why's and shows you just how complacent we can all be at times. Costly if you are paying for yourself, but if you get the right job out of it, the returns are worth it.

The course takes you through Explosive principles, equipment, zoning, Intrinsic Safe installations, Health and Safety, Permits to work,Testing and Instecting,Safe isolation procedures and a few more.

If you look up Compex courses, it will give you a general idea of what to expect.

As I said, a little awsome to start, then it all falls into place.

JIB?? forget them. Waste of time but unfortunately we have to have a JIB card to work on many sites so we are a bit stuffed.

Hope my input helps out a bit.

Mickeyspark

Heard about that one, we usually have to rejig the job to suit the equipment, but its cheaper.......
Plus you can use foreign labour at a third of the price.

Wonder when the manafacturers will bring out the 18th Edition? opps, meant the JIB.
I have for sale 400mtres of 4mm Earth anyone use it now?

just finished the course this week, hell of amount of info in one go but once u get into it and get your head round it it does become "easier". How long did you have to wait for word if you passed or not?
Cheers.

You can get compex put on your jib card, i got it on mine when I last renewed. Didnt do the ecs test just used my safety passport instead.

Reply to Compex Qualification Confirmation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net