Discuss Continuity RFC error??Help please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ditch the Wylex MCB and get a Crabtree... or more sensible to fit a blank for unused "ways"

Whats the labelling like on the cover?
Thanks I'll do that. Here's an image from before, but I switched a couple of MCB's around so it will need relabelling but I did use a sharpie for now.

20171124_111252.jpg

You need to work on those bus bars,they look a mess,straighten the left hand mcbs out and no doubt it may then sit correctly

Try dressing cables with more acute bends and don't try to get to the connections too quick,more bends needed rather than untidy sweeps

Finally,ditch those pig tails they are an eyesore, then get hold of a Hoover
Thank you for the good advise I will take it on board. Just to let you know most of the cables were pre cut by the previous installer & I also had to take some cables from left through to the right hand side as they were all bunched through the left if that makes sense i did hoover tho lol you just can't see it as I cropped the photo. Thanks for the advise.

20171214_140234.jpg

sort out the bussbar and its better than it was originally , better than alot ive seen

got a board change tomorrow, my favourite , sit in one place for half a day? suits me fine (3 boards into 1) before any wise ones slip in how they do boards in 2 hours.

the more you do the better you get, work from the furthest end of the board from your cable entries to keep it tidy as you work, same applies for running cables on tray and basket, start at the furthest point so cables arent crossing over
sort out the bussbar and its better than it was originally , better than alot ive seen

got a board change tomorrow, my favourite , sit in one place for half a day? suits me fine (3 boards into 1) before any wise ones slip in how they do boards in 2 hours.

the more you do the better you get, work from the furthest end of the board from your cable entries to keep it tidy as you work, same applies for running cables on tray and basket, start at the furthest point so cables arent crossing over
Thanks very much for the advise I do have a couple of board changes (of my own) to do before Christmas this was sort of my first attempt (tiding up) before I actually do one so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again

The bus bar on circuit 5 and 6 on the unprotected ways looks a bit low?
Otherwise not too bad, I had one recently that was a nightmare, the cables looked a pigs ear as the rcbos took up too much space and was a distressed change and had to use a smaller than ideal CU, so now very crowded i couldn't do my usual ocd thing of making everything pretty. With Hager they often place the earth bar in the centre and it gets in the way of the terminations on rcbos. you can move it but if you have a full CU it doesnt really help things.

With practice you can use your thumb and index finger to grip and then run along the conductors to 'iron out' previous bends and dog legs.

With practice you can use your thumb and index finger to grip and then run along the conductors to 'iron out' previous bends and dog legs.
Don't half burn your fingers though if you have a lot of ironing out, Marconi. Good way of getting rid of your finger prints as well.

The bus bar on circuit 5 and 6 on the unprotected ways looks a bit low?
Otherwise not too bad, I had one recently that was a nightmare, the cables looked a pigs ear as the rcbos took up too much space and was a distressed change and had to use a smaller than ideal CU, so now very crowded i couldn't do my usual ocd thing of making everything pretty. With Hager they often place the earth bar in the centre and it gets in the way of the terminations on rcbos. you can move it but if you have a full CU it doesnt really help things.
Thank you for your comments & I have resolved the busbar issue many thanks

Wiring a CU has reminded me of when I was a lad and my next door neighbour who taught electrical installation theory and practice at the town college. After he taught the theory and students put the wiring in practice for the first time, he would then go on to his 'time is money' masterclass - how to install a ceiling rose and wired pendant (say) in the most efficient way yet still achieving a neat outcome. What length conductors, how much insulation to strip back, labelling, order of connection, which way to bend conductors and finally final checks on terminal tightness. The idea being to have as few steps including number of tool changes as possible. Time and motion if you like. At the end of the course there was a keenly contested competition for each of the common wiring jobs. Interestingly, every so often one of the students found a simpler and/or quicker way which became the latest best way. Paid dividends to those who followed the examples and then had to do high volume 'price' wiring jobs. The idea being to create dexterity from muscle-memory through repetition.

He also encouraged ambidextrousness.

As ever , practice makes for perfection.

Wiring a CU has reminded me of when I was a lad and my next door neighbour who taught electrical installation theory and practice at the town college. After he taught the theory and students put the wiring in practice for the first time, he would then go on to his 'time is money' masterclass - how to install a ceiling rose and wired pendant (say) in the most efficient way yet still achieving a neat outcome. What length conductors, how much insulation to strip back, labelling, order of connection, which way to bend conductors and finally final checks on terminal tightness. The idea being to have as few steps including number of tool changes as possible. Time and motion if you like. At the end of the course there was a keenly contested competition for each of the common wiring jobs. Interestingly, every so often one of the students found a simpler and/or quicker way which became the latest best way. Paid dividends to those who followed the examples and then had to do high volume 'price' wiring jobs. The idea being to create dexterity from muscle-memory through repetition.

He also encouraged ambidextrousness.

As ever , practice makes for perfection.

... now that is something I would really be interested in!

Reply to Continuity RFC error??Help please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net