Discuss Difficult customer! Refusing to allow me to rectify faults. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
First Post on here but I need some advice so bare with please!
So I recently got called to a job from a customer who had their consumer unit changed by an "electrician" who fitted a split load rcd board. When the rcds repeatedly tripped he walked away from the job on nothing but MCB and main switch removing both rcds.
I've done plenty of testing on the board today and there are numerous faults and poor readings, such as low L-E IR readings (about 0.4mohms) as well as open end readings on cpc for ring final circuits. Also low N-E IR readings (again about 0.4mohms).
So I explained the scenario to the customer... Who has now told me he doesn't want me to rectify these faults or complete any fault finding as it will cause too much disruption to his house. Testing asides, I've done no work in this house and won't be especially whilst its in the state its in. But asides from just walking away is there anything I can do here to force the situation here slightly?
It really doesn't sit well with me having seen the state of the installation as well as the cr@p test results I got when testing through the board.
However if the customer won't let me continue... Am I at all liable here? And if so what can I do to cover my behind as I've stressed my concerns to the customer and I got nowhere!

Thanks in advance!

Agree with Westward, do you really want to work for someone like that who is likely to start haggling over your price as he has probably already (in his mind) paid the previous sparks for the work!

Don't worry about it, put in writing your findings and invoice them. Not your problem.
Cheers for the advice!.. That is what I shall do then
[automerge]1594500410[/automerge]
Agree with Westward, do you really want to work for someone like that who is likely to start haggling over your price as he has probably already (in his mind) paid the previous sparks for the work!
No you're right I agree. Rubbish situation though but I'm sure it won't be the last time in it!

You can lead the horse to water, but not make it drink.

Same in business, you can give sound reasoned advice, but you can't make the customers take it. Cover your --- (in writing), don't fret, and put it down to experience :(

As long as your report dots the i’s and crosses the t’s.... it’s up to the customer whether he gets any remedial work done.
Just have to enthuse how serious a C1 or C2 could be

getting paid for your report you’ve done is another issue entirely

Yeah
As long as your report dots the i’s and crosses the t’s.... it’s up to the customer whether he gets any remedial work done.
Just have to enthuse how serious a C1 or C2 could be

getting paid for your report you’ve done is another issue entirely
Yeah we spoke in great length yesterday about the potential dangers of his current installation but to no avail!
As far as being paid for my time goes I'm not overly concerned, I don't make a habit of working for free of course, but my concerns were more with the poor install I had walked away from.
But as you say cannot make them complete any remedial works.

Why did the customer call you there in the first instance?
He had paid someone previously to change consumer unit... And wanted to get the property compliant for a cert. I believe the property is going on the market soon.
Although I must say I walked away from there scratching my head slightly at the guys attitude and to as what he was hoping for from me? Perhaps a quick sign off and walk away who knows

He had paid someone previously to change consumer unit... And wanted to get the property compliant for a cert. I believe the property is going on the market soon.
Although I must say I walked away from there scratching my head slightly at the guys attitude and to as what he was hoping for from me? Perhaps a quick sign off and walk away who knows
That sounds exactly what he wanted, make sure you get paid and as others have said put your findings in writing to him, maybe talk to ya scheme if you are concerned, and walk away mate.....I had the same thing last week from an eicr, came back unsatisfactory and I got the usual “it’s been fine for the last 10 years I’ve lived here!” But a lot more aggressively...
My reply...no it hansnt you’ve just been lucky not to have been hurt!
So she paid I issued the report and she’s now demanding I go and do the remedialS before her 28 day period runs out......Not for me thanks ???

That sounds exactly what he wanted, make sure you get paid and as others have said put your findings in writing to him, maybe talk to ya scheme if you are concerned, and walk away mate.....I had the same thing last week from an eicr, came back unsatisfactory and I got the usual “it’s been fine for the last 10 years I’ve lived here!” But a lot more aggressively...
My reply...no it hansnt you’ve just been lucky not to have been hurt!
So she paid I issued the report and she’s now demanding I go and do the remedialS before her 28 day period runs out......Not for me thanks ???
just give her a sky-high quote for the remedials. think of a figure and treble it. she'll not bother you anymore.

End of day invoice and list faults as you found.And advise him to get original spark back.
Could issue a estimate to correct as a gesture at a high price of course.
Then when he does sell all hell will break loose when they need a cert for the DB change.
And you will of course be too busy

Reply to Difficult customer! Refusing to allow me to rectify faults. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net