Discuss Help with a difficult customer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello there my fellow electrician.
Need some advice about a customer who is being very difficult and annoying.
I was called out by the customer who got my number from the Niceic website for a fault in his kitchen. Cutting the long story short! His flat was a mess with many non Compliance’s so advise the customer to have a EICR done whilst we fix the fault in the kitchen. Customer was happy to have one done as the last EICR Expired in 2016. Fixed the fault in kitchen and tested the property. Sent a invoice to customer but now wants the report first before any payment has been made as he wants to discuss all non compliance in detail! When I mean detail I mean every little thing like why a metal light switch should have a earth connected, what are the regs on it and to explain the regs to a person who has no clue in electric’s. In total he has 4 C1, 7 C2, 5 C3 and many FI’s our report shows where the problem is with pictures had a verbal discussion on the C1 but being very difficult and now annoying. I haven’t got that much time and Patience to go through the whole report as it can take all day! What would you guys do?
Any info or advice Would be much appreciated.
Thanks

P.s I’m no longer a trainee and a fully qualified electrician as my status at the top says I’m a trainee

Can you itemise all these C1 and 2 issues.
Just to list the Some C1 and C2
Blank’s missing in Cu exposed live part’s
Cooker isolator not fixed properly to a point you can see the wires.
No SWA glands on external garage light and only two core’s used! The SWA was fixed to a metal staircase!
Metallic light fixtures was live on ceiling!
No gas or water bonding found!
All the earths cut off in metallic light switch’s

The point of my discussion was that what would you guys do if he’s refusing to pay unless he is educated on the regs in detail so he can take a decision whether to pay or not! How would you approach the customer on this?

Send him the draft report and a copy invoice.
keep it professional

a little free advice is good for a customer relation development

but if you are in the middle of falling out with them anyway, just stick to the basics.
i.e. The details of the works required will be in the quote for remedial work if you ask me for it.
however the invoice for the test must be sorted out first.

Don't know what you charged but I would write this one off. No way would I spend precious time trying to explain intracacies of the nature of the electrical characteristics of my findings. If the client does not "get" what a live fitting means then....nvm.
I would quote for the remedials and then I would consider explaining as I go along. There would be a premium though for my time doing so. But to me it seems you have one of those customers where it is best to cut off before it costs you more. Anyway regards the bill I would give notice as above to pay then hand it over to a debt collection agency in the event they don't pay. For a couple of hundred pounds, just move on and make up the loss with people who are legitimate.

Send him the draft report and a copy invoice.
keep it professional

a little free advice is good for a customer relation development

but if you are in the middle of falling out with them anyway, just stick to the basics.
i.e. The details of the works required will be in the quote for remedial work if you ask me for it.
however the invoice for the test must be sorted out first.
Thanks for the advice

Don't know what you charged but I would write this one off. No way would I spend precious time trying to explain intracacies of the nature of the electrical characteristics of my findings. If the client does not "get" what a live fitting means then....nvm.
I would quote for the remedials and then I would consider explaining as I go along. There would be a premium though for my time doing so. But to me it seems you have one of those customers where it is best to cut off before it costs you more. Anyway regards the bill I would give notice as above to pay then hand it over to a debt collection agency in the event they don't pay. For a couple of hundred pounds, just move on and make up the loss with people who are legitimate.
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

Me this what I would do if he has paid you for the fault then that's good, having the EICR done by you and the customer agreed then tell him you are going to invoice him for the work that is done and once paid you will forward the test certs.
If he does not play ball then you will start recovering the amount which is owed.
You don't need to hand over the test certs until payments is paid in full. The best way is to email him and comuacate that way no if on buts.

Me this what I would do if he has paid you for the fault then that's good, having the EICR done by you and the customer agreed then tell him you are going to invoice him for the work that is done and once paid you will forward the test certs.
If he does not play ball then you will start recovering the amount which is owed.
You don't need to hand over the test certs until payments is paid in full. The best way is to email him and comuacate that way no if on buts.
Funny thing is he hasn’t paid for the fault as it was done together and on one invoice!

I wouldn't write if off. I wouldn't spend time explaining intricacies either until paid, although I would of course list suggested remedial actions but only once paid in full.

I would forward BPG4 to the customer, with a friendly note saying that the document should be sufficient explanation of faults and coding, for a layperson. Further explanation of the complicated subject of electrical testing and inspection isn't included in the EICR service, but can be provided at my hourly rate, of course assuming existing invoices having already been settled.

Some customers just love to waste your time, they'll happily spend an hour bending your ear about a 2 hour job.

Dont let it go.

If you’re in the right, and they are not paying, then they have stolen time off you.
Final demands, and a solicitor letter usually does it.

Don’t come over as the soft git that will let a couple hundred slide. Word will get out.

I’m still waiting for a £300 bill from about 4 years ago. I won the case, customers wages were to be arrested… she changed jobs… covid hit….. back to the courts to get wages arrested from new employer…. She’s paying £300 plus all my solicitors fees.

If everyone had to sit and discuss faults on EICR's with customers that are clueless and have zero respect for your time etc .We would all be out of work. Its simple....you wont want to do any more work for him. You have done what was asked . He owes you for it .mention that you can charge him £x per hour cash paid every hour on the dot to educate him to their hearts content .

Reply to Help with a difficult customer! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net