Search the forum,

Discuss Digital TV Aerials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

ben2012

Hi

Im just wanting a bit of information, i have a customer who is wanting to upgrade their tv aerial in order to try and get more channels and improve signal quality, ive had a look online and their are loads differing in price from about £5 - £50! what should i be looking for to get the best i can?

Thanks

Ben

hes been next door to his neighbour who had a new aerial fit a few years ago when everything went digital and he gets more channels/ better quality hence the newer aerial as the one he has at the moment is about 10yrs old. some aerials seem alot of money in comparison to others so just wondering what you get for the extra cash?
thanks

For the extra cash you get better gain, better materials in resistance to UV damage and Wind etc. I use televes seem pretty good, seen a couple of cheaper one's and not impresed tbh. How is the reception in the area.

The only difference is the gain level you get from the aerial, you have to have a aerial suited to the signal quality you could expect too receive in that area. Hence my question of where in the country are you so I can look at signal levels in your area and advise you accordingly

The only problem with the cragg vale transmitter it's it's only a half relay station, broadcasting 3 out of the 6 multiplexes. Basically means you will only get 40 odd stations rather than the full 127. Your better off if you can get a signal aiming for a full transmitter that will give you more channels, may need a taller mast/different aerial with a booster etc but would be worth it if you can get a signal through

The emley moor transmitter Is within your reach and that does transmit all multiplexes. Just hope there's not a big mountain or something in the back garden and you should be ok!

Firstly there is no such thing as a digital aerial. There is a massive difference between aerials and, whilst the gain of an aerial can be a factor (sometimes a negative one), image rejection can be equally as important if you have neighbouring transmitters, 4g transmitters, hillsides, buildings etc than can introduce nasties you do not want. Unnecessary amplification of signals can be another cause of not achieving the results you hoped for.
In the majority of cases you can get away with 4g filtered log periodic aerials which is what I tend to have as stock items. Standard 28 element £9.15 or 36 element £11.15. I rarely use anything else these days but I do have the advantage of a proper digital signal analyser so I can 'see' the quality of signal being received. Unless you wish to receive from a group A transmitter I would not go for a grouped log unless there is a very good reason (all transmitter frequencies will ultimately be group A).

Can anyone of the TV boffins advise me please? My nearest transmitter is winter hill in Bolton Lancashire and my postcode is m33 3az. Does winter hill use all multiplex s? I'd like to get more channels if possible

I'd get a local TV aerial man to do it, one who has a TV aerial tuner to ensure the dam thing is pointing in the right direction!

There's one on my patch who's been at it 30+ years and can tell from the address what aerial to fit! That's what I call experience and knowledge.

I just got a cheapo job from Maplins, and from my roof, pointed it in the direction of Winter Hill (I'm in South Manchester), which I could see.
I'm now the proud receiver of over 100 channels, 95% of which are total tripe!

If you've got at least two brain cells to rub together, do it yourself.

I have met a few "professional antennae dudes",and they seem to know a lot about signals,gain and mast positions,but considerably less about tiles,slates,gutters and cable routes. Still,their roofer pals buy them plenty of beer...:1eye:

Reply to Digital TV Aerials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net