Discuss DNO question about incoming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to post a thread with normal terms like "switch" and get error message that I can only post three tags and 5 tags in total. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Thanks. Adrian

This is what I was trying to post a minute ago. It as forced me to do it as a reply to myself. Presently we have a 100 amp supply with conventional modern meter, compliant tails to the consumer unit (tails replaced by DNO I believe in 2018 when new main CU was installed by a third party. Annoyingly there is no master isolator switch. On the other hand there are no seals presently on the main incoming fuse either.

I am considering getting a smart meter to monitor the consumption of different areas of the house and I am wondering if the supplier will combine this with the fitting of an isolator if we request it. Any thoughts on how best to get this done all in one go?

This is what I was trying to post a minute ago. It as forced me to do it as a reply to myself. Presently we have a 100 amp supply with conventional modern meter, compliant tails to the consumer unit (tails replaced by DNO I believe in 2018 when new main CU was installed by a third party. Annoyingly there is no master isolator switch. On the other hand there are no seals presently on the main incoming fuse either.

I am considering getting a smart meter to monitor the consumption of different areas of the house and I am wondering if the supplier will combine this with the fitting of an isolator if we request it. Any thoughts on how best to get this done all in one go?
rcd main switch?

No. I want to isolate the supply totally so that there is no live wire anywhere in the CU or Henley blocks above the main CU in the distribution cupboard in the house. I am talking about an isolation switch in the meter box, which is outside.

Re - economy 7. Apparently yes. I see the Venner unit must be a timer.

Re isolator - yes I want one between main fuse and the meter. I want to be able to fully isolate everything as the area where the main CU etc is, needs some building remedial work. It's a mess.

I agree. The red wire is going to to god knows where in the house. The black wire gives every appearance of being connected to the live terminal in the meter. I have not looked at it closely but will do so tomorrow. There are no storage heaters in this house (there used to be) and the only thing using economy 7 tariff usually is EV charge point and the dishwasher and tumble dryer. I need to sort this out.

I’ve looked again now. Are you sure the thinner red wire doesn’t go into the top of the service head (just about in photo).
I believe the black wire is a signal wire to switch the meter to the other tariff.

That's helpful. Will have a proper look in daylight tomorrow. I did some videos for my own benefit that show the main CU and RCBO distribution CU with covers off, and Henley block. Can'y post here.

Reply to DNO question about incoming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net