Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

29E4B5A4-79F6-4A95-9D31-3359DDD87FB5.jpeg
16mm surface mounted lighting backbox - 6 screws and plugs to affix it!
I think this ex council house rewire crew were planning for the end of the world!
Could the last one to leave switch the light off!

View attachment 43698 16mm surface mounted lighting backbox - 6 screws and plugs to affix it!
I think this ex council house rewire crew were planning for the end of the world!
Could the last one to leave switch the light off!
Impressive, I swapped some pendants in a new build recently for decorative ones, the pendants were all fixed with only one screw.

Changed some downlights in a bathroom this morning, usual no cpc to be fixed. Thought ok job done. Looked over at the top of the vanity unit and there was a lovely exposed live above the pull switch, using more "bell wire" too. Thanks Barry Bathroom Fitter !

IMG_1164.JPG

Just a few snaps from the job I'm on at the mo :)

Not electrical, but a fine example of how to notch a joist ;)
IMG_20180829_101713641.jpg

Long story short, young couple, old house. Roofer nailed a lighting cable, they use their BG home care plan, engineer rocks up, takes one look and refuses to touch it. Rubber :)

So I go along to investigate and discover cooker, one ring (which is no longer a ring, but two radials one terminated in yellow butt crimps and just left lying around in the floor void - oh, and it has no earth) and this section of the lighting is all on rubber. It's in varying states of decay but has some cracking examples of how not to do it.

If in need of an earth, just strip the biggest cable you can find and wrap a bit of cable around the earth. That was live until about 5 minutes before I took that photo. Had to know what was under the mass of tape, although to be honest, I suspected this is what I would find.
IMG_20180829_140427820.jpg

Wasn't expecting the damage to the line conductor though!

Some creative cable routing. It's a tricky layout with lots of little landings and short sets of steps, I'd say that's the only way they could get the cables up.

IMG_20180829_141918316.jpg

The PVC in that shot is also coming out as it's been squashed for who knows how long by the boards.

In investigating the rubber cable and where it goes (as I'm going to rewire that section of the lights), I discovered a hidden gem :)

IMG_20180829_131257578.jpg

Above a door, screwed to a joist and then covered with plasterboard.

IMG_20180829_111245546.jpg

So the two junction boxes with red tape I think there are four wires into each of them (certainly there is on one). Ring in, ring out, connection to a socket, so I've got a loop de loop situation. And the one with the extra cable... 1.5mm (or imperial equivalent) twin... yes, twin only, provides a supply to a socket outlet downstairs :D

And I've found at least 10 more junction boxes that need to be replaced as they are inaccessible. I reckon someone was just sprinkling them around, maybe got a job lot and wanted shot of them. Nearly all of them have basic insulation visible outside and the ones on the rubber lighting circuit... well, I suspect the conductors weren't visible outside when they were originally installed but they are now as the insulation crumbles away :)

All of that and I've still got to take part of the kitchen ceiling down to find and fix the roofers original faux pas!

Fun, fun, fun :)

Just a few snaps from the job I'm on at the mo :)

Not electrical, but a fine example of how to notch a joist ;)
View attachment 43977

Long story short, young couple, old house. Roofer nailed a lighting cable, they use their BG home care plan, engineer rocks up, takes one look and refuses to touch it. Rubber :)

So I go along to investigate and discover cooker, one ring (which is no longer a ring, but two radials one terminated in yellow butt crimps and just left lying around in the floor void - oh, and it has no earth) and this section of the lighting is all on rubber. It's in varying states of decay but has some cracking examples of how not to do it.

If in need of an earth, just strip the biggest cable you can find and wrap a bit of cable around the earth. That was live until about 5 minutes before I took that photo. Had to know what was under the mass of tape, although to be honest, I suspected this is what I would find.
View attachment 43980

Wasn't expecting the damage to the line conductor though!

Some creative cable routing. It's a tricky layout with lots of little landings and short sets of steps, I'd say that's the only way they could get the cables up.

View attachment 43981

The PVC in that shot is also coming out as it's been squashed for who knows how long by the boards.

In investigating the rubber cable and where it goes (as I'm going to rewire that section of the lights), I discovered a hidden gem :)

View attachment 43979

Above a door, screwed to a joist and then covered with plasterboard.

View attachment 43978
So the two junction boxes with red tape I think there are four wires into each of them (certainly there is on one). Ring in, ring out, connection to a socket, so I've got a loop de loop situation. And the one with the extra cable... 1.5mm (or imperial equivalent) twin... yes, twin only, provides a supply to a socket outlet downstairs :D

And I've found at least 10 more junction boxes that need to be replaced as they are inaccessible. I reckon someone was just sprinkling them around, maybe got a job lot and wanted shot of them. Nearly all of them have basic insulation visible outside and the ones on the rubber lighting circuit... well, I suspect the conductors weren't visible outside when they were originally installed but they are now as the insulation crumbles away :)

All of that and I've still got to take part of the kitchen ceiling down to find and fix the roofers original faux pas!

Fun, fun, fun :)
Needs a rewire doesn't it

Needs a rewire doesn't it

I'm rewiring the three circuits in rubber and will be giving the rest of it a thorough check up. Some of it appears in good order, certainly I've not seen anything to cause me any concerns in the areas I've already worked on (moving sockets, installing one or two additional outlets and lights - BUT... much of that is not yet livened up as the plasterers are working on the external walls where much of it has taken place).

I'm rewiring the three circuits in rubber and will be giving the rest of it a thorough check up. Some of it appears in good order, certainly I've not seen anything to cause me any concerns in the areas I've already worked on (moving sockets, installing one or two additional outlets and lights - BUT... much of that is not yet livened up as the plasterers are working on the external walls where much of it has taken place).
where are you buying your rubber cable from? i need some for a listed building and the surveyor has specced VIR 7/029 for the sockets.

edit: oopps, just found out that the surveyor passed away peacefully in his drunken stupor 1954.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock