Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Inspection I’m doing currently for the council. The landlord was illegally using place as a HMO, so has decided to put it out for normal rent as the council threatened to fine him. Apparently his usual ‘electrician’ has had a look at the installation prior to me and said it was fine 🤔🤨. Council have asked me to come look at it. Council woman and landlord were here earlier and I showed them some issues and said if the other guy wants to put his name to a certificate to say the place is fine in that condition then on his head be it. I think landlord is upset as so far his remedial bill is sat at just over £1k! 😂

IMG_3326.jpeg

Guess they didn't understand the requirement for the edge of Zone 2 being 600mm
IMG_3330.jpeg

Apparently this is fine as it still works and it's just 'a bit of cracked/melted plastic'

IMG_3332.jpeg
IMG_3333.jpeg

Obviously the CU isn't on whilst I'm doing this!

IMG_3324.jpeg
IMG_3275.jpeg
IMG_3276.jpeg
IMG_3278.jpeg
IMG_3263.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg

This is barely clamped in and it's literally holding about 2mm of conductor.

Inspection I’m doing currently for the council. The landlord was illegally using place as a HMO, so has decided to put it out for normal rent as the council threatened to fine him. Apparently his usual ‘electrician’ has had a look at the installation prior to me and said it was fine 🤔🤨. Council have asked me to come look at it. Council woman and landlord were here earlier and I showed them some issues and said if the other guy wants to put his name to a certificate to say the place is fine in that condition then on his head be it. I think landlord is upset as so far his remedial bill is sat at just over £1k! 😂

View attachment 99259
Guess they didn't understand the requirement for the edge of Zone 2 being 600mm
View attachment 99260
Apparently this is fine as it still works and it's just 'a bit of cracked/melted plastic'

View attachment 99261View attachment 99262
Obviously the CU isn't on whilst I'm doing this!

View attachment 99263View attachment 99264View attachment 99265View attachment 99266View attachment 99267View attachment 99268
This is barely clamped in and it's literally holding about 2mm of conductor.
Are they mixed manufacturer mcbs ?
What's the fused spur feeding ?

I'm just being curious, but if you message me the landlords number I'll put a quote in 😂

Are they mixed manufacturer mcbs ?
What's the fused spur feeding ?

I'm just being curious, but if you message me the landlords number I'll put a quote in 😂
Yep two different MCB (Hager and Europa).

Spur is feeding the doorbell chime next to it and another one in the room next door. Hence the two cables coming out of it. Took me a bit to trace where the second cable was going.

Yep two different MCB (Hager and Europa).

Spur is feeding the doorbell chime next to it and another one in the room next door. Hence the two cables coming out of it. Took me a bit to trace where the second cable was going.
I assume it's a having a Cu change.

Looks like bad work has caused most of the damage, never mind, keeps the work flowing :)

I assume it's a having a Cu change.

Looks like bad work has caused most of the damage, never mind, keeps the work flowing :)
That’s what I’ve quoted for along with a few other bits.

But the woman from the council said the landlord seems to think rules don’t apply to him.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he pulls it then rents the place under the radar. Probably as a HMO again. 🙄

But the woman from the council said the landlord seems to think rules don’t apply to him.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he pulls it then rents the place under the radar. Probably as a HMO again. 🙄
Or gets his drive by matey to do it.

Caution, he may not be in a hurry to pay for any work he thinks is not necessary as he is above the law.

Caution, he may not be in a hurry to pay for any work he thinks is not necessary as he is above the law.
As it’s over £1k I told the council & landlord I won’t even order the materials until I have the 50% deposit.

It’s on all my quotes that any orders over £1k a 50% deposit is required to confirm the booking.

At least that way I have him by the balls if I need as by him paying the 50% deposit he would have agreed to the T&Cs that says remainder on completion within 7 calendar days. So if he doesn’t pay then I’ll jump through the legal hoops as necessary to get the rest.

A friend of min is taking over a former bank premise for her charity work so I went for a quick walk round to see it and spotted this:
View attachment 99291
At least you can find the switch when thd light is off!
In fact, that’s how I wire the (FCU) light switches in my sheds. Then I can find them in the dark.

Turned up on site after a week away, to allow other trades to catch up, and the alarm/data monkies had been in.

20220708_070221.jpg

20220708_073721.jpg
20220708_070224.jpg

Needles to say I was a little apoplectic, put my phone away, went for a coffee and then put it as right as I could.

20220708_104447.jpg
20220708_104445.jpg
20220708_104442.jpg

There is an entirely new circle of hell waiting for these cretins.

My favourite, that now makes me chuckle, is the cut up grommets in the top of the fire alarm panel, plastic, but don't bother with the holes in the galv trunking, mind boggling.

They've only put one sounder circuit in. Rough doesn't begin to describe it.
They are both on switch spurs, bit of flex as mains for the fire alarm.

Turned up on site after a week away, to allow other trades to catch up, and the alarm/data monkies had been in.

View attachment 99301
View attachment 99297View attachment 99299

Needles to say I was a little apoplectic, put my phone away, went for a coffee and then put it as right as I could.

View attachment 99298View attachment 99302View attachment 99303

There is an entirely new circle of hell waiting for these cretins.

My favourite, that now makes me chuckle, is the cut up grommets in the top of the fire alarm panel, plastic, but don't bother with the holes in the galv trunking, mind boggling.
Not sure I'd be putting other trades screwed up cabling right unless I was charging them fir it

They've only put one sounder circuit in. Rough doesn't begin to describe it.
They are both on switch spurs, bit of flex as mains for the fire alarm.
The switched spurs were me, but, to be fair it's what the drawing specified.

The cable routing is abysmal, as you can imagine. Pointed out to the client that they still fall under BS7671 and should be installed accordingly.

IP rating on one of the metal sockets….
Knock-out has been knocked in.

And will having sockets above other sockets so close like that mean appliance flexes will get in each other’s way?

What type of cable is the mains supply because the flex doesn't comply and is there a second sounder circuit.
The feed to the FCUs is in FP but white, all I had.

Remember reading something on here years back (BS5396?) saying the feed needs to be in MICC or FP or something flame retardant.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock