Discuss Does anyone know of a remote overload reset for moeller gear? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bobster

Ok, so I'll put in a little background.

On nearly all the sites I look after, the overloads for just about all the smaller >75Kw motors are in a main panel in each sites main switch room. Not a problem until something trips out, it's usually operator error, overloading conveyors etc...

Now the operatives aren't allowed inside the panels (for good reason), and due to the fact most of the small satellite sites they won't have an electrician there so this causes undue downtime.

On all the new installations I've used Telemech gear, for which you can get electronic remote reset devices that clip to the overload like this:

LAD703 - Remote stop or electrical reset device for LRD up to 30 kW - Documents & Downloads

This enables a push button to be mounted outside the panel that the operatives can reset themselves (following a set out SOP)

Now I'm wondering if moeller produce a similar peice of kit I've tried twice today to get through to their tech support and not had any luck, and have spent hours looking online searching and not found anything. Most of the satellite sites use moeller's Dil range overloads so if they don't produce one that will fit their gear it looks like I'll have to start replacing them slowly over the upcoming months. (As long as my budget stretches lol...)

I’ve never liked auto reset. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve found a start PB with a matchstick holding it in. One company I worked for decided they didn’t want electricians on shift, we would be better off on days. The “Management” issued the edict that all O/L’s should be auto reset. I got called out 21 times in one week, about ⅓ of the calls were to burnt out motors. We went back on shifts and the auto resets put back to manual.
On a lighter note, the pay department phoned me up to ask if they could pay me my overtime over a couple of weeks? OK but why? The computer couldn’t handle the pay out in one week.

Know where you're coming from, Tony. In this case, the AUTO reset would occur but control mods would need to prevent excessive restarts. Alas, this can only be as abused as the reset config that the OP desires to mimic the Telemech gear.

The telemech reset is a quite easy control mod, there all wired through a counter that will not let them reset the overload external of the panel more than 3 times in an set period of time, usually 90min by then an electrician would have gotten to site to asses the problem.

I'll have to have a think of how I could utilise the auto reset function on the moeller overloads, never used the feature. I'm presuming without looking it resets itself with the movement of the bi-metallic strips cooling down?

Reply to Does anyone know of a remote overload reset for moeller gear? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net