Search the forum,

Discuss Earth electrode on TT System - can it run overhead on catenary wire ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whitebeetle

Hi All , After looking at installation in an old cottage with TT Supply I have found that i need to install a new earth electrode and wire back to the consumer unit . However physically the only way to get the earth electrode in the ground would mean cabling the earth electrode overhead for a span of about 5 metres at a height of about 4 metres to reach suitable ground in which to install it ! Is it ok to run the main earthing electrode cable overhead ? The run in total would probably be about 20-25 metres. What size earth cable will i need and how would i protect it- can it be just tie - wrapped to the catenary wire or will it need aditional protection ?:)
Chris

Why cant you get the earth electrode closer to the board? Cant you drill through any stone or concrete layer until you reach the softer ground?

Hi , Thanks for reply.
No , its a strange old property with one side built into the hillside under the road so no possibility that side , the other two sides it is a 20 metre run before you reach anything other than road and its a semi so the fourth side is next door !
Difficult to explain but this is the only way it can be done - the original earth spike is now buried under the pavement / road as this has been built over it !:)

It does sound a one off situe is it not possible to drill within the house, not been on site its hard to visualise, is it internal stone/concrete floor or floorboards, the house must be on some kind of solid ground?

I would not use overhead for the cable, too likely to give problems
I would employ a firm to dig a trench and fit the rod in a proper pit clearly marked not one of those silly conduit boxes
you can hire machines to cut tarmac and concrete water cooled, but you should be able to find a groundworker to do it for you
if not cut into the house adjacent to the hillside
presumably the road is tarmaced and is the property of the house owner
the niceic do a good little book called snags and solutions earthing and bonding
they say that for longer runs of cable the impedance must not be so great as to cause the earth fault loop impedance to exceed the maximum value permitted by section 411
I have had the same problem with rustic properties and have used a contractor to cut a channel for me and lay a conduit in for the earth cable, this must then be covered by sand of a different colour to the soil and then warning tape or tiles ( so if some muppet digs it up he has a clue) dont used ferrous conduit use heavy guage pvc and install a pit making sure the soil level is below the top of the rod ( to prevent corrosion) and you will have to apply grease to the finished connections, the pit must be clearly marked safety electrical earth
with a bit of luck it may mount within a few feet of the house
however if it now a main road you are stuffed as you need permission and a street works cert to excavate and a cat and genny test before any cutting takes place outside so you dont chop the supply cables
do you not have any floors you cna lift to fit the rod under?

Might be worth checking if this installation can be changed to PME. Had a similar situation once, I made the phone call and got a suprising result.

Reply to Earth electrode on TT System - can it run overhead on catenary wire ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net