Discuss Electric Gate - have it open ready as you arrive in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

buzzer123

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hello all - I would really appreciate some advice please.
I am conducting the groundworks to install a 6m opening "Hi Motion" sliding cantilever electric gate (9m length in total).
I have to commission an electrician to make it all happen but the client has asked for a cabled means to have the gate open before they arrive at the gate.
I am installing a electricity kiosk within their land at the top of the lane (and the gate is 250m down the road - which is heavily wooded so wireless could be an issue)

What I was thinking was to install a sensor at the top of the hill by the kiosk so that as the client approaches by car they can slow and bleep the sensor and then by the time they get down the lane to the gate it will hopefully be open ready for access with no waiting for the gate to get out of the way.

Please advise what you all think would be the best solution to achieve this (p.s I will have an open trench to take power down the hill to the gate from the kiosk so could install a further cable etc but would it work over that kind of distance - approx. 250m)

A phone app would also not work as reception onsite is terrible.

Thank you all in advance for all your help :)

Welcome to the forum mate.
Cable can work over any distance you want. We have power cables that run over many miles along pylons. It all depends on how much power is needed at the destination and how much money the customer is willing to spend.
How many amps goes the gate need?
So the distance from the kiosk to the gate is 250m. Where does the kiosk get its power from? How far away is this?

Hi - thank you for your reply, The kiosk is 2m from the power pole whereon uk power networks guarantee +/- 6% of 100 amp 3 phase.
The calcs have been done I think with regards to guaranteeing power down to the site (which includes the gate) but the obstacle to overcome is getting a sensor (or another means? - any ideas) installed 250m from the gate so that the client can zap it on his approach to the gate and then as he drives down the lane the gate would be opening and he could drive straight in without waiting.
Thanks for any suggestions :)

Have you had a search of the forum?
I found this but I'm sure there are more sensors out there that could do the job for you.

A remote control sapper for authorised persons could be considered with the receiver at the appropriate distance to the speed and time required. All other traffic would have to use the intercom usually provided near the gate. How else would it be secure?

Have a look at these devices.

Having slept on this one, would the much simpler solution for anyone with a 250m drive, be to have one's butler on hand to open the gate and tip his hat, as one's chauffeur drives the limousine through? No electrics or electronics required.

Thank you for all your suggestions guys - really appreciated.

Ha Ha - Thanks tony. No the client is a hippy !! (think catweasel but a really nice chap who has become my friend over the years) He lives off grid in a cabin with no power - compost loo - water from bore hole etc

He has come into some money (deceased relative I assume) and is now going for gold getting power to his house and an an electric gate as well as a septic tank to bring himself up to 21st century living standards.

I am doing all the groud prep work and want to get it good for him as he does not really have any idea.

This is the reason I want to know roughly what Im talking about before I talk to local electricians so that I do not appear totally stupid:)

He does not have lots of land Tony (postage sized stamp) and lives rurally next to a local estates wood who have now kindly given him permission to bring power cable down through their wood.

So I was thinking a push button in the car with private radio code or something so only the customer can open the gate as he drives down the public lane towards his entrance.....the electric gate is going to take six seconds to open from once its pressed so I thought it could be open ready for him - at his request Batman style :)

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Kindest

Thank you for all your suggestions guys - really appreciated.

Ha Ha - Thanks tony. No the client is a hippy !! (think catweasel but a really nice chap who has become my friend over the years) He lives off grid in a cabin with no power - compost loo - water from bore hole etc

He has come into some money (deceased relative I assume) and is now going for gold getting power to his house and an an electric gate as well as a septic tank to bring himself up to 21st century living standards.

I am doing all the groud prep work and want to get it good for him as he does not really have any idea.

This is the reason I want to know roughly what Im talking about before I talk to local electricians so that I do not appear totally stupid:)

He does not have lots of land Tony (postage sized stamp) and lives rurally next to a local estates wood who have now kindly given him permission to bring power cable down through their wood.

So I was thinking a push button in the car with private radio code or something so only the customer can open the gate as he drives down the public lane towards his entrance.....the electric gate is going to take six seconds to open from once its pressed so I thought it could be open ready for him - at his request Batman style :)

Any other ideas gratefully received.

Kindest
Most gates will come with this facility , although I am not sure of the range on a standard remote. :)

The gate open method is basically a switch that requires 2 wires . So I would install a reciever at the point on the drive where you would like gate to start opening and run a 4 core swa from this point to the gate controller (2 cables for the switch and 2 spare for future use ) im not sure on the cable size without calculating but I would of thought 2.5mm would do the trick . The receiver can be operated by a key phob.

You/the client are going to need a certified gate installer. There are a lot of safety features to build in and the installer will have a number of solutions for the customer’s requirements.

The last one I did the Sparks for had a nice app on a mobile phone, so the client could open the gates as he turned off the motorway.

Really, find a gate installer and give himself the problem.

Re: Taylortwocities #17: very good advice about safe electric gates which should not be ignored.

By the by, I spent an enjoyable couple of days restoring some electric gates to wireless remote, keypad, fob and hall intercom button control after the gates had been necessarily modified to avoid crush and car damage but alas left with some difficult to find wiring faults - the gates and their control had not been tested before modifications so the company argued they were original faults. The safety modifications were done to prevent another episode of expensive damage to cars and people which remained in the gates' swept area.

Top tip - go for wireless/wifi interconnections to avoid wiring runs to sensors. eg:

Good gate controllers, in this case a CBME one, already allow radio control with the addition of a small circuit board and internal aerial.

CAME ZM3E-ZM3EC Manual - EasyGates Manuals - https://manuals.easygates.co.uk/came-zm3e-zm3ec/

Reply to Electric Gate - have it open ready as you arrive in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock