Discuss Extending the equipotential Zone of PME installation. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I was going to just add on to Voltz's thread but it seemed to come to a natural end but I had some questions.

1. A few experienced members say that you should not extend the (equipotential zone) EPZ of a PME system. Am I right in thinking that this is because of the possible potential between the earth of the PME and true earth? If so, then would this potential not be dealt with by supplying the required 10mm bonding from the MET of the originating building? Both 'Wiring Matters' View attachment 29676 and GN8 (page 66, figure 5.15)give an example of extending the EPZ of PME.

2. Whilst I'm asking I'd also be interested in why this would not be an issue with a TNCS (PNB) but it would with a TNCS (PME), I cant quite get me head around why there is a greater chance of a potential difference between system earth and true eart with a PME? How do the additional earthing points of a PME cause this?

3. Lastly, Some have mentioned putting in a rod 'along' with extending the EPZ of a PME. GN8 (Fig 5.15) shows this scenario but states the CPC of the extension should not be connected to the earthing terminal of the additional building if TT is going to installed. This makes sense as you will not have a large PD between system earth and true earth (given a good Ra).

Secondly, PNB you move the star point connection to earth of the tx up to the customers panel. This negates the issue with voltage dropped accross the neutral supply cable.

Cheers

I was going to just add on to Voltz's thread but it seemed to come to a natural end but I had some questions.

1. A few experienced members say that you should not extend the (equipotential zone) EPZ of a PME system. Am I right in thinking that this is because of the possible potential between the earth of the PME and true earth? If so, then would this potential not be dealt with by supplying the required 10mm bonding from the MET of the originating building? Both 'Wiring Matters' View attachment 29676 and GN8 (page 66, figure 5.15)give an example of extending the EPZ of PME.

2. Whilst I'm asking I'd also be interested in why this would not be an issue with a TNCS (PNB) but it would with a TNCS (PME), I cant quite get me head around why there is a greater chance of a potential difference between system earth and true eart with a PME? How do the additional earthing points of a PME cause this?

3. Lastly, Some have mentioned putting in a rod 'along' with extending the EPZ of a PME. GN8 (Fig 5.15) shows this scenario but states the CPC of the extension should not be connected to the earthing terminal of the additional building if TT is going to installed. This makes sense as you will not have a large PD between system earth and true earth (given a good Ra).

Thirdly, the rod is used to reduce the touch voltage upon a broken pen. It wont affect the voltage drop accross the neutral. You need to assess the load impedance and then calculate the Ra to acheive a required touch voltage.

Cheers

Reply to Extending the equipotential Zone of PME installation. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock