Discuss Extractor fan relay for two independent light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

metanet

DIY
Reaction score
Thinking a 240V AC relay activated by two independent light switches could be used to switch power to a shared inline extractor fan. The fan serves two bathrooms, just needs to be activated from two different switched live lighting circuits.
I'm aware double pole light switches could be used in this scenario but the light switches didn't pass wife test.

Anyone know of a dual input relay I could use for this purpose?

Thanks
Meta

Thinking a 240V AC relay activated by two independent light switches could be used to switch power to a shared inline extractor fan. The fan serves two bathrooms, just needs to be activated from two different switched live lighting circuits.
I'm aware double pole light switches could be used in this scenario but the light switches didn't pass wife test.

Anyone know of a dual input relay I could use for this purpose?

Thanks
Meta
Just use a double pole single gang switch, it's much easier.

Or if you're adamant on not using switches, then you could use a two input solid state relay.

Last edited:
Still cant see point of using 2 relays though
Well lets say I needed to do the above job, I've just been on google, typed in dual input relay and then clicked products, this is what came up.

I'm none the wiser which relay I should buy out of that lot, so I can either take a guess and end up with the wrong thing costing me a days work or I could buy 2 relays and do it that way very easily. Is that a good enough point.

Well lets say I needed to do the above job, I've just been on google, typed in dual input relay and then clicked products, this is what came up.

I'm none the wiser which relay I should buy out of that lot, so I can either take a guess and end up with the wrong thing costing me a days work or I could buy 2 relays and do it that way very easily. Is that a good enough point.

I can't see how using a pair of relays/contactors are going to be in any way easy.

They would need to be mounted properly in an enclosure that's suitable.

Contactors in the consumer unit is going to be no easy task and also costly.

The easiest, cheapest, quickest, and Compliant way is to use a pair of 1 gang dp switches as already said.

Why don't you try "two input solid state relay", like i posted #7

8_1940584351.jpg

Sorry, no diagram, but here goes.
Relay coil to one light S/L, relay pulls in when that light is on.
Contact (needs to be C/O) common to fan S/L input.
Connect contact N/O to same S/L as coil.
Connect N/C contact to S/L on other light.

Switching one light on pulls in the relay, changes over the contacts, and applies live to fan control. Fan runs.
With that light off, tge fan is controlled by the other light as if the relay wasn't there.

The above assumes bith lights on same circuit. If on different circuits, relay coil S/L & N come from one circuit. The N/O contact must connect to the permanent L the fan is connected to - needs an extra cable core.

Oh yes, the relay will hum when on. It's possible to add a couple of diodes so the coil operates on DC, and it's inductance will smooth out the half wave and eliminate the hum.

Also, depending on the fan, it may be possible to just use two diodes so when either light is on, the fan control input is fed with half wave DC. This will be sufficient to trigger the timer on many fans.

Sorry, no diagram, but here goes.
Relay coil to one light S/L, relay pulls in when that light is on.
Contact (needs to be C/O) common to fan S/L input.
Connect contact N/O to same S/L as coil.
Connect N/C contact to S/L on other light.

Switching one light on pulls in the relay, changes over the contacts, and applies live to fan control. Fan runs.
With that light off, tge fan is controlled by the other light as if the relay wasn't there.

The above assumes bith lights on same circuit. If on different circuits, relay coil S/L & N come from one circuit. The N/O contact must connect to the permanent L the fan is connected to - needs an extra cable core.
IMG_2815.jpg

Reply to Extractor fan relay for two independent light switches in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net