Discuss Female Electrician?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Enicklen

I'm a 20 year old woman and currently working in the OEM lighting market. After working for Tamlite & other lighting companies I've wanted to be on the other side doing the electrical installations rather than selling people the panel or the choke ! I'm about to start an apprenticeship to gain a level 3 electro-technical NVQ (and AM2) alongside my job(1 day a week for x3 years), and then get experience along the way where I can, and then the bulk of my practical work in the last year.
Is this the best route for someone in full time work?

Also - every time I enquire about courses, ask for some site experience or express my interest in becoming an electrician I come up against a brick wall of 'you won't like it - you could break a nail', 'it will be too dirty for you', or my personal favourite 'there might be spiders'. I'm prepared to work and I'm more than able to do physical work.

So a couple of questions to you guys-

Do you think its a job best suited to men? If so why?
And as a employer would you employ a female trainee electrician/ electrician?
Also - how easy is it to find unpaid site experience?

Welcome to the forum Enicklen

Certain areas of electrical work are very physical and possibly wouldn't be suited to many women for the same reason they aren't suited to some guys either but most areas of work are equally suited to men and women.
Yep, over the years I've had 2 female apprentices through their entire training and they both excelled although I suspect it was at least partly because they had a point to prove and they both worked happily in the industry.
Being female it might be easier in some respects but overall swings and roundabouts. I'd guess for any door it closes it would probably make another open

If you like the idea of hands-on work as an electrician I'd say just get on with it. Your nails will grow back ;)

Last edited:
I'm a 20 year old woman and currently working in the OEM lighting market. After working for Tamlite & other lighting companies I've wanted to be on the other side doing the electrical installations rather than selling people the panel or the choke ! I'm about to start an apprenticeship to gain a level 3 electro-technical NVQ (and AM2) alongside my job(1 day a week for x3 years), and then get experience along the way where I can, and then the bulk of my practical work in the last year.

Also - every time I enquire about courses, ask for some site experience or express my interest in becoming an electrician I come up against a brick wall of 'you won't like it - you could break a nail', 'it will be too dirty for you', or my personal favourite 'there might be spiders'. I'm prepared to work and I'm more than able to do physical work.

Do you think its a job best suited to men? If so why? No of course not
And as a employer would you employ a female trainee electrician/ electrician? Yes no worries on that
Sorry can't help you on that one

I'd happily employ a female apprentice or electrician, after all my business partner is one (although she does suffer from the spiders problem).
In my opinion nobody should ever have to work unpaid just to get experience.

I suggest you PM a moderator to get access to the trainee section of the forum

The physical side has pros and cons. I am 6ft 1" and 90Kg and have hands the size of gorilla but I work with someone who is 5ft 5" about 60Kg and he is very agile, can get into spaces I often get stuck in. I am good for heavy cables and drilling large holes, he is good in access restricted areas and balancing on one leg whilst fixing a tie wrap.. lol... In this line of work having a mix of physical attributes is a bonus. Muscles will strengthen with use. BTW I hate vermin, spiders and anything creepy crawly. My daughter on the other hand deals with all that stuff as I run out of the room. lol

The physical side has pros and cons. I am 6ft 1" and 90Kg and have hands the size of gorilla but I work with someone who is 5ft 5" about 60Kg and he is very agile, can get into spaces I often get stuck in. I am good for heavy cables and drilling large holes, he is good in access restricted areas and balancing on one leg whilst fixing a tie wrap.. lol... In this line of work having a mix of physical attributes is a bonus. Muscles will strengthen with use. BTW I hate vermin, spiders and anything creepy crawly. My daughter on the other hand deals with all that stuff as I run out of the room. lol

what are you like with snakes?

We have a few female members somewhere ..it would be nice for them to give you a real world reply on what its like ...me I got meat and 2veg so cannot really give a balanced view on been a female sparky.

There was a girl who trained to be a spark in our place before i started. She served out her 4 years and qualified but she let go at the end of her apprenticeship. She has now retrained as a midwife.

Would you like to see a movie and have a meal? lol

Reply to Female Electrician?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net