Discuss Free view in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

BLBelfast

-
Arms
Reaction score
Girlfriends brother got a new freeview tv. They have an old aerial on the roof and i just found where the old coaxial ran to and extended it to his room. Thing is there is no signal still. He can get all the analogue channels but no freeview. Would I have to replace the old coaxial to the aerial as it is not digital or should it still pick up something? I am completely usless with aerials, bit embarrassing but never really encountered it till the past few months :nonod:

I'd recommend he gets a LOCAL tv aerial chap in,who has one of the signal "meters". We did this 2 years ago and haven't regretted it since.

Yes its going to cost but who wants a naff TV signal/picture?????????

If you are not very good with aerials etc, take a look at websites such as "Satcure" and "aerialsandtv".

One thing they will say is that there is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'.
However, you may have the wrong type of aerial to best take advantage of your area.

Cables as long as they are 75 ohm *should* be ok, however decent cable is much better. It's known as WC100. Whereas the standard CT100, whilst it should be ok, I find it fairly crap (but it is cheaper).

I've just improved my freeview by changing the cable and putting a "masthead amplifier" in.

Hope this helps,

Si

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II via Tapatalk

Last edited:
There is no such thing as digital coax for terrestrial transmission (or digital terrestrial aerials!). It should still pick up something (assuming the join has been done well and preserved the shielding), does the new TV have a signal strength option in the tuning menu (quite common) that would give you a clue as to how strong a signal you are getting.

Reply to Free view in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net