Discuss fuse fail class 2 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

salmon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all. First of all, I'm not an electrician, although I am confident in doing small jobs (socket changes, light changes etc.) however I am about to start a course (being sent on one, city & guilds).

My friend (spark, currently on holiday so I can't ask him) has given me his HPAT600 and after showing me how to use it, I got on quit well with it, however on some appliances, especaily class 2 it fails on the fuse but passes on insulation. One thing he told me I might need to do is skip the fuse test and do visual and insulation only.

Obviously I will learn all this during the course but I wanted to ask how I can tell if I will have to skip the fuse test and do visual and insulation only vs do all 3?

I also don't plan on doing any load testing yet, until after said course.

Any advice would be welcomed, and thank you!

It is not a prescribed test but the tester is obviously set-up to perform this action prior to the insulation resistance test to prove continuity of the live conductor to the appliance. We had something similar to this and most people bypassed it.

telextric - Yes, for items that have a fully functioning switch, I never have that issue however with some appliances, such as radio, tv, lamp, etc.. they don't have a traditional on/off switch but in fact one that is just a press button, (and in a power outage, when it goes back on, you need to press the button again).

Will this always be a "fail" on fuse test for those sort of appliances with those switches? Obviously, those items should not fail as there is no reason for them to fail (fuse works, etc..).

westward10 - Yes, it does the fuse first before the insulation test. I am pleased I was on the right lines with bypassing it. I know with the HPAT600 I can press the shift key, and then class 2 again and it only does the insulation test.

Thank you both

Agreed - low-load appliances particularly those with small SMPSUs, and especially capacitor dropper input, can be misdetected by the tester as being switched off when they are not. Since there is no requirement to 'test' the fuse (i.e. continuity) I always leave this bypassed if possible, except on extension leads where a polarity check inherently tests continuity. The little battery PAT120 that I use for quick checks where there is no power can't have the warning disabled, but pressing the test button again makes it proceed anyway.

Of course, it is essential to check that any physical power switch is on before testing, but it should not be necessary for the machine to point this out to the operator.

Reply to fuse fail class 2 in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock