Discuss Is this a class 1 or class 2? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am a new PAT tester for a school, and I am stuck testing a plasma globe. It has a two core wire going to it, but no class 2 mark on the appliance. As I understand it, if it has no mark I must treat it as a class 1, and it instantly fails as there is no earth bond. However, it has been passed by previous PAT testers, and I also read some advice on another part of this forum which implied that if the wire going into the appliance has 2 cores I can assume it is class 2. I don't want to throw this away unnecessarily; can anybody help me decide if it is a class 1 or a class 2 device?

Thanks

If it has been manufactured with a 2 core mains lead fitted then it cannot be class I. But it is not ideal that it doesn't have the class II symbol. Is it a quality item or some cheap ebay thing? Can you post photos.

And just to confirm, the mains wire goes straight into the item, and not via a power supply?

If it has been manufactured with a 2 core mains lead fitted then it cannot be class I. But it is not ideal that it doesn't have the class II symbol. Is it a quality item or some cheap ebay thing? Can you post photos.

And just to confirm, the mains wire goes straight into the item, and not via a power supply?
Yes, the mains wire goes straight in, not via a power supply. It is an ancient thing (I have found a similar one on ebay from 1986). I attach 2 photos of it....and thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_021318.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20230522_021251.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 42
So it can't be class I as it has no provision for an earth. Is there no label on the device? Possibly been removed or comeuppance stuck at some point?

So it can't be class I as it has no provision for an earth. Is there no label on the device? Possibly been removed or comeuppance stuck at some point?
OK - so can I say it is class 2 based on the fact that there are just two wires going in? There is a label on the bottom where I would expect the class 2 symbol to be, but no symbol. I am guessing that to be labelled class 2 the manufacturers have to demonstrate a level of insulation, and I can imagine that this device may be made in a country/a time with different standards. So there being no symbol may indicate that it has not been made to acceptable standards.

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_023148.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 42
OK - so can I say it is class 2 based on the fact that there are just two wires going in? There is a label on the bottom where I would expect the class 2 symbol to be, but no symbol. I am guessing that to be labelled class 2 the manufacturers have to demonstrate a level of insulation, and I can imagine that this device may be made in a country/a time with different standards. So there being no symbol may indicate that it has not been made to acceptable standards.

I think I'd agree with that. A cheap product with unknown status or provenance.

Whether cheap or not, I think there's a good chance that this device was made before CE marking and the categorisation of insulation class, (eg 'box within box' symbol) was required to be marked on the product?

Fair point. I thought it looked more recent, but you may be right yes.

OP did say it was “ancient” so I agree, it could predate the “square in a square” logo

Great fun those things though…. I used to have one in the shape of a lightbulb.

The requirement for the Class II symbol pre-dates CE-marking and the symbol really ought to be there. I think post No.7 sums it up.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. It is really good to know that there is this backup when I just don't know, even though what I was really hoping for was somebody to say 'yeah, this is fine, here is an obscure rule for plasma globes'!

The body is mostly plastic, although there are some metal prongs at the side, and metal screws in the base.

I think that it may be that I have to take the precautionary approach and get rid of this LOVELY toy that I will be gutted not to play with again, as there is no indication that any secondary insulation has been designed to a high enough standard. Hey ho. Thanks for all your collective wisdom though!

Being pragmatic, what is the real risk here? Who is going to get shocked and how? The problem with condemning things on minor technicalities like missing labels, especially ones that have been in use for years, is that they weaken customers' confidence in testers' soundness of judgement and get them stressed out about Elfensafety Gone Mad. Customer then starts concealing genuinely dangerous stuff.

I might let this one through.

Reply to Is this a class 1 or class 2? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net