Discuss PAT testing a Ariston Andris under sink water heater in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

punkin

-
Reaction score
Hi All

I’ve come across this heater Ariston Andris Lux Undersink Water Heater 2kW 10Ltr - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ariston-andris-lux-undersink-water-heater-2kw-10ltr/3248g
Its a plugin & I’m trying to PAT test it.
It doesn’t say which class its is under (1 or 2) I would assume it’s a class 1 but when I try the Earth continuity to the pipes going in and out, I get a fail, no continuity to earth whatsoever
Does anyone know if its Class 1 or 2?

Thanks
Pete

Ariston undersink water heaters (usually / should) have these fitted at the inlet and outlet.

Attachments

• Ariston.PNG
    238.1 KB · Views: 4
The manual I just found on the Internet shows a requirement for a 3 core supply cable and an earth connection when installing it. Not 100% sure it was exactly the same version though. If the device doesn't have the class II logo on the spec plate then it will not be double insulated and so will be class I.

As per DPG, I found by accident an installation manual for the South African model (the wording of the instructions being very similar to the European one except for standards) which has a diagram showing the earth being connected to the metalwork of the immersion heater mounting bracket Inside the unit.
It would seem that to test earth continuity you would have to take the cover off!

A60F4D66-96F0-44AE-B35E-AA1D8BFB24CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi All

I’ve come across this heater Ariston Andris Lux Undersink Water Heater 2kW 10Ltr - Screwfix - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ariston-andris-lux-undersink-water-heater-2kw-10ltr/3248g
Its a plugin & I’m trying to PAT test it.
It doesn’t say which class its is under (1 or 2) I would assume it’s a class 1 but when I try the Earth continuity to the pipes going in and out, I get a fail, no continuity to earth whatsoever
Does anyone know if its Class 1 or 2?

Thanks
Pete
No bonding to the I assume copper water pipes ?

No bonding to the I assume copper water pipes ?
The instructions require you to install the isolating plumbing fittings (post #2) to avoid electrolytic corrosion of the unit!

But yes, I agree, if the pipes are copper and bonded and the unit is connected up you would expect the earth continuity. But that's not a PAT, sorry ITSEE, test!

Last edited:
I'm surprised no-one has yet asked the obvious question..... why are you trying to test a non-portable device with a PAT test?

I'm surprised no-one has yet asked the obvious question..... why are you trying to test a non-portable device with a PAT test?

Don't forget it's ISITEE, not PAT. It can apply to non portable items as well. And often doesn't involve actual testing. The term PAT is very misleading.

Don't forget it's ISITEE, not PAT. It can apply to non portable items as well. And often doesn't involve actual testing. The term PAT is very misleading.
True - however - that's not what the OP stated.

PAT testing is no longer a recognised term.
The Code of Practice edition 5 removed all traces of the term.
And that's for precisely the reason raised by @Rockingit, that is, to remove any confusion between what equipment should be tested and/or inspected. ISITEE applies to ALL electrical equipment whether portable or not.

Ariston undersink water heaters (usually / should) have these fitted at the inlet and outlet.
Yes I would have thought so but the fittings on this are slightly corroded. So I would assume the outlet would be insulated like in a shower. I will have to open the thing I reckon for a closer look.

As per DPG, I found by accident an installation manual for the South African model (the wording of the instructions being very similar to the European one except for standards) which has a diagram showing the earth being connected to the metalwork of the immersion heater mounting bracket Inside the unit.
It would seem that to test earth continuity you would have to take the cover off!

View attachment 107896
Yep I think I would agree with you, bugger, as you can imagine, I need to disconnect the pipes under the sink and I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

Reply to PAT testing a Ariston Andris under sink water heater in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net