Discuss ariston water heater install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The manual said 9.5kw at 240v, drawing 39.6amps but worth remembering that it only draws 39.6 amps if you have an exactly 240v supply.
As a silly and extreme example if you actually had the UK minimum permitted voltage (230v - 6%) and had 5v further volt drop over 17m of 6mm T+E it's now pulling 45 amps. Unlikely of course.

10mm csa cable would permit a higher value MCB and suffer less volt drop, and as above be more suitable in the first place.

Indeed. I was also going to point this out. Using 230 volts results in 41.3 amps, so a 45 or 50 amp OCPD would be needed.
I've just read this thread for the first time, and then read it again. Can't believe that no one picked up on the fundamental error in the first quote, and then found it repeated in the second!

The manufacturer's spec. for this heater is 9.5kW at 240V. I calculate that as a resistance of 6.06 ohms.
At 230V - 6% -5V (=211.2V) the heater will draw 34.9A NOT 45A, and at 230V it will draw 37.9A NOT 41.3A
It's the resistance of the element that's fixed, not the heating power in kW.
To draw 45A, the voltage at the heater's terminals would need to be 273V

I've just read this thread for the first time, and then read it again. Can't believe that no one picked up on the fundamental error in the first quote, and then found it repeated in the second!

The manufacturer's spec. for this heater is 9.5kW at 240V. I calculate that as a resistance of 6.06 ohms.
At 230V - 6% -5V (=211.2V) the heater will draw 34.9A NOT 45A, and at 230V it will draw 37.9A NOT 41.3A
It's the resistance of the element that's fixed, not the heating power in kW.
To draw 45A, the voltage at the heater's terminals would need to be 273V
Isn't it about time that manufacturers were made to quote their power rating at 230V? Or at least all standardised. Not like they are using 240V elsewhere since we "changed" are they?

I know it means they can give a bigger number on their box, but does anyone actually buy based on that anyway? Half the time the sites selling it don't even give the figure anyway.

The manual said 9.5kw at 240v, drawing 39.6amps but worth remembering that it only draws 39.6 amps if you have an exactly 240v supply.
As a silly and extreme example if you actually had the UK minimum permitted voltage (230v - 6%) and had 5v further volt drop over 17m of 6mm T+E it's now pulling 45 amps. Unlikely of course.

10mm csa cable would permit a higher value MCB and suffer less volt drop, and as above be more suitable in the first place.
If the supply voltage goes down, the current will go down rather than up - the heating element is a resistive load.

Edit: well and truly beaten to it!

Last edited:
If the supply voltage goes down, the current will go down rather than up - the heating element is a resistive load.

Edit: beaten to it!
Indeed and the stupid thing is that when writing that I was thinking about a commercial dishwasher on a site prone to over voltages drawing more than 13 amps and yet still managed to write a load of rubbish...
Oh well I doubt I’ll do that one again.

Not at all. Makes things easier for you.
Manufacturer says 9.5kW at 240V, but the declared voltage in the UK is 230V, and this is what is used for design. Your heater is 8.73kW, not 9.5kW, in spite of what it says on the box, so the current you design for is approx. 38A
ahhh theres my brain fart then ..of course yes ,so i can use a 40A with a 63A rcd

Reply to ariston water heater install in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock