Discuss Game Changers - The successes and the flops? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm just about to start wearing those, how do you find them?
Properly life changing! If the rooms a bit dim, close up focus still isn't perfect, but in anything more than reasonable light, they're amazing. From wiring up small "D" plugs, to reading manufacturers instructions, (what are those?). No more glasses sliding down my nose!

Properly life changing! If the rooms a bit dim, close up focus still isn't perfect, but in anything more than reasonable light, they're amazing. From wiring up small "D" plugs, to reading manufacturers instructions, (what are those?). No more glasses sliding down my nose!
I actually had the call from the Opticians earlier to say that they're in, so I'll know pdq. My presciption is a little odd, though and apparently right at the edge of the technology so it'll be interesting. I'm also still going to have 'over specs' for driving (so glasses and contacts at the same time) to do the final bit of correction that can't be done.

Have you used one much? I find it messy as fcuk when starting the chase

Not regularly, but have certainly put it through its paces on a few occasions. I don't find it any messier than a twin blade chaser when starting a chase. I line it up, get it up to speed, then get to full depth quickly.

I couldn't justify the expense of an auto-start extractor and use it with an old Henry which seems to keep mess to a minimum, although one full length chase pretty much fills a bag. No visible dust and only a small amount of debris on the floor.

For me it's Li-ion powered tools. I still remember Ni-cad and NiMh drills that had generally gone flat when you wanted to use them. I still have my rawl plugging tool and brace and bit drill but it has been a long time since I used them. Any one still use their 'Yankee' screwdriver?

Definitely. I used to hate nicad batteries with a passion. The worst of all battery chemistries to charge and look after.

I still like using my dad's old Yankee screwdriver. Especially for shelf brackets because it's long enough to reach the screws and still keep straight.

Yep still got my Yankee screwdrivers a short and long one, I even have a 1/4 inch adaptor for them so I can use normal bits in them! Last time I used them was well over a year ago though and the long one slipped and gave me a lovely Yankee cut on my palm :)
I'll stick to the impact driver and a long bit, till the next time I'm feeling nostalgic!
Sy

Yankee screwdrivers...beloved of the shopfitters that worked all night to re-purpose shop units...cut myself so many times!
As said, by me and others, LED headtorches and hand-held and site lamps, battery tools, all that stuff...Turbo Ultra goldscrews that drive into anything...all good stuff! Quinetic switches (other brands are available) Aico RF wireless smokes/heats and some of the QuickWire stuff...
actually, so much stuff in the last few years!
My latest, absolutely essential bit of gear...and I have trialled it for 3 months now...
just the best gadget for when you are working in a cold environment! Keep them in your pockets and warm your hands while you struggle with cable connections, use them walking the dog, and as a bonus they have an output so you can use them like a battery pack to charge your phone and torches etc. I couldn't believe how many hours they lasted, and i take them everywhere now, including out on the loch in my dinghy to keep my hands warm when I can't wear gloves. For winter walking, if you have those big mitts, you can actually slip them inside the gloves...
I love them!

I wasn't much more enamoured by NiMH, but now find myself using a lot of Eneloop cells and struggle to believe they employ the same chemistry.

NiMh didn't suffer from the memory effect and low charge storage issues though. Breath of fresh air after Nicads.

NiMh didn't suffer from the memory effect and low charge storage issues though. Breath of fresh air after Nicads.

They were a vast improvement, but I recall them losing charge fairly quickly and batteries that weren't in regular use often needed charging fairly quickly.

I find Eneloops give performance in line with the best of alkalines, even after several months in a toolbox. I don't know what goes on inside them, but they perform very differently to NiMH cells of the past.

They were a vast improvement, but I recall them losing charge fairly quickly and batteries that weren't in regular use often needed charging fairly quickly.

I find Eneloops give performance in line with the best of alkalines, even after several months in a toolbox. I don't know what goes on inside them, but they perform very differently to NiMH cells of the past.

That's my experience too. I don't buy the older type now. I find the Amazon Basic range seem to be rebadged Eneloops as the ones I have are made in Japan and perform the same.

Last edited:
Rhino ladder clamps for van roof rack! There was nothing worse than needing your ladders off the top of the van in the pouring rain or when it’s snowing and then having to spin those old rusty ladder clamps that get stuck every half turn (hopefully everyone knows the type I mean!)

….and then the Rhino clamps came along, sorted!
I know exactly what you mean. The hook on the bottom of my rusty screwed rod type is almost straightened out now.

Still better than wasting cable ties on it.

Also recently started using the Bosch PowerChange arbour and hole saws. Great bit of kit when drilling consecutive holes, quick release saves a lot of time.
I got sick of changing the arbour .So I just bought a load via ebay and leave them on. Its not often i need a different size these days .The 5 cutters on them seem to cover most downlight etc ! !

Reply to Game Changers - The successes and the flops? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net