Discuss Hapless new member hoping what I'm after is even possible ... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some CP PIRs come with a variable lux level.
I don’t know whether they do one that could be sited anywhere other than in ceiling though?
Thanks spinlondon; that was the problem, the CP stuff looks good but unfortunately it would be major work to put a ceiling-mounted detector now. I know that Ikon set has a built-in PIR with lux detection which could be let into the plinth and there are other types too, so I wondered if there were any other options available (or if someone had achieved something similar and could share what they did) but would still let me override it and switch them on fully when we wanted to ...

On most PIRs, you have 3 terminals.
Permanent Live, Neutral and Switched Live.
To bypass the PIR, you just take a feed from the Permanent Live terminal on the PIR, down to a light switch, and then from the light switch back up to the Switched Live terminal on the PIR.
The PIR will still detect people and switch on and off, but if the light switch is switched to on, the PIR switching will have no effect.
However, if the PIR has switched to on, and you turn the light switch off, the lights will stay on, until the PIR timer runs out.

On most PIRs, you have 3 terminals.
Permanent Live, Neutral and Switched Live.
To bypass the PIR, you just take a feed from the Permanent Live terminal on the PIR, down to a light switch, and then from the light switch back up to the Switched Live terminal on the PIR.
The PIR will still detect people and switch on and off, but if the light switch is switched to on, the PIR switching will have no effect.
However, if the PIR has switched to on, and you turn the light switch off, the lights will stay on, until the PIR timer runs out.
Thanks spinlondon ... forgive me for being thick, but can I assume the Sycamore SY7262A wouldn’t do it? This tech diagram seems to show a switched 240v in and a standard 240v out, but nothing else ...

That looks like it might be switching both the Line and the Neutral, though it may only be switching the Line.
If it is only switching the line, then you could still bypass it as I said in the other post.
If it switches both Line and Neutral, you could link across the neutral terminals and switch the Line.
Another option would be to switch both the line and Neutral using a double pole switch in place of a standard light switch.

Hi all ... I acknowledge it's been a long time but for any who might be interested, we managed to get this to work with the equivalent of the Sycamore unit, a Luxomat PD91CFC. Admittedly the lux is a little sensitive and flips the plinth lights on late afternoon rather than just at night, but I think we can live with that. The only odd thing (to my mind at least) is that the LEDs pulse once every ten seconds when not overridden and not powered on by the occupancy detector. Not sure if that's an expected thing or not, will likely see if Luxomat can confirm if this is by design or not

Hopefully if anyone else has this dodgy idea, this might help out in narrowing down the choices a bit!

Reply to Hapless new member hoping what I'm after is even possible ... in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net